Just got into the Beta a couple days ago, and love it so far. Here’s my list of Observations:
– I, like many others, have encountered the bug where you alt-tab out to Windows, and when you try to tab back in, you get a windowed screen, totally black. Running XP Pro, E8500, and a GeForce 9600.
– I’ve seen a couple of times where ships will actually fly off the edge of the map. And other ships attacking that one will persue it off the edge.
– I’d like to have the ability to zoom out further than is now possible. If you have two battle groups engaging in two seperate sectors of the map, it is not possible to watch both at the same time. Its true that its not terribly difficult to move back and forth, but that can get frustrating in a fluid situation.
– I’d like to see point-defense weapons able to engage enemy fighter-class ships. It seems intuitive to me that a close-range, strafing bomber is exactly the sort of thing that point-defense weaponry is for. So far as I can tell, right now those weapons can engage only missiles and torpedos. Useful, to be sure, but could be better.
– It seems to me that the priority system needs some work. I’ve seen Heavy Cruisers with anti-capital ship weapony fly in little circles shooting at fighters while my other battle group was being decimated halfway across the map. In that situation, the ‘attack fighters’ order was set to like 2%, and ‘attack cruisers’ was set to 80%. I have also seen squadrons of my bombers get bogged down in a dogfight that they were ill-equipped to handle, even though their priority to attack capital ships was set much higher.
The only way I have found to prevent this sort of thing is to delete the ‘attack fighters’ order altogether. That’s not an ideal solution, because then my ships won’t engage enemy fighters at all, even if they’re the only thing in range while the ships are en route to their primary targets. I’m fine with my Cruisers or Bombers taking potshots at fighters on the way past if they’re the only thing close enough to shoot at. But if you’re ordered to engage capital ships, you should always be moving towards a capital ship, and once you’re in range, you should be ignoring targets that aren’t your top priority, instead of wasting heavy-weapons fire failing to hit them. There’s got to be some sort of middle-ground solution to achieve that.