Armed Police Should Increase Inequality?

According to this here Marxist critique armed police ahould increase inequality as well, due to the protection of capital and the oppression of the poor.

1 Like

I really believe we need statistics not opinions.

That’s a good point, but then what is democracy without opinions?

1 Like

There are reports of police guarding the dumpsters outside supermarkets to stop the needy from taking perfectly edible, non expired food that has been thrown away by the supermarket due to cosmetic (or other) concerns: Portland Police Block People From Taking Discarded Food From Grocery Store Dumpster After Winter Storm - NowThis

That said, my example is probably not indicative of the overall effects (positive or negative) of arming police, and I do agree with @Silviu200530 that sticking to non opinion articles is probably for the best.

2 Likes

If we take unconfirmed information as the truth, you would end up like 2007 Wikipedia

2 Likes
1 Like

Perhaps we could say that armed police leads to police brutality/oppression which leads to inequality?

I feel like it’s not the presence or absence of armed police that creates inequality, it’s the laws in the judicial system and the regulations on police behaviour. American laws have historically been biased against minorities and people of colour, which results in the police being biased against minorities and people of colour as well.

In a perfect judicial and regulatory system, arming police effectively (Not SWAT) should not have any effect on inequality. Sadly though, we do not live in a perfect world and so inequality remains an issue. So maybe the policy of arming police should affect inequality less than the laws behind the police, though I don’t know if these are in the game currently.

1 Like

Hmmmm…I womder what Cliff thinks.