Average Temperature sim is almost insignificant

FWIW this change is now live in build 1.129. its far from perfect, but better I think, and at least I now know that stuff like ‘cyclones’ can actually trigger! and the potential for balancing national and global climate change is now at least properly in the game.

1 Like

it just occurred to me that Plant Based Food should have an impact on Global CO2 Emissions, modulated by international trade and your country’s relative meat consumption compared to global meat consumption.

yes it definitely should do. If it does not already, thats a mistake on my part and I’ll add it tommorow

FWIW I just checked and plant based foods already decreases CO2 emissions. Now that global CO2 and domestic are different , I don’t think it needs further modulating.

It technically should individually affect both global and local CO2 emission by factors of international trade and relative size of you to the globe. However, I suppose if you account 100% of that emission reduction to your own nation, even though you may actually cause, say, fewer cattle in another nation by eating less meat, it would kind of have the same effect.

Except when it comes to how foreign relations change things: Perhaps you can somehow push other countries to also focus on more plant-based diets, say. (In which case the same thing happens but in reverse: Higher plant-based diets from other countries means less meat export and so less meat production demand in your country.)

This is just an example. Perhaps there are other values where this equally applies.

1 Like

The ideas about foreign relations affecting global temperatures are interesting.

Perhaps the way to make this workable is to have every few years, events / dilemmas like Paris Climate Agreement and COP 22. Your climate policies at the time of the event will either encourage or discourage the rest of the world’s CO2- but this effect is multiplied by high foreign relations.

This could help stop “quick fixes” at the end of the game.

Another, perhaps less easily implemented, idea to give political consequences to climate change within an 8 years game length… Perhaps there could also be a kind of manifesto pledge you can make during the dilemma where you can win better foreign relations by meeting climate targets?

2 Likes

Sounds like a great new achievement idea!