No, you’re not in any trouble, Cliff. I might be.
I’m currently in early development of an indie game with many of the same thematic ideas as Gratuitous Space Battles, including top-down semirealistic space battles, with customizable ships and, conceivably, large fleets. In terms of the planned graphics style and theme and closeness of development (within a year or two of yours being released, mine will probably be released as well) people will draw parallels between my game and yours, as well as Battleships Forever (due to having similar component-based shipbuilding ideas).
I would like to ask to see if you would consider my game idea sufficiently different than yours:
Notable features of my game that differ would be:
- Ships can be controlled in a more direct RTS style
- The player actually pilots a ship directly (keyboard+mouse), for most of the time during gameplay
- The degree of customization will be significantly greater (for better or for worse), more along the level one could see in BSF, but not quite (you’ve got to think of balancing…)
- Game progression will begin with a scattering of relatively insignificant forces, and will ideally end with a clash of developed and numerous ships of all sizes
- The game will sometimes revolve around resource and maneuvering tactics as well as combat tactics
- It will be primarily played in multiplayer
Thank you for your time;