[Backstory] •Great Powers• of the GSB galaxy

Very cool.

Wow awesome! (found the map a bit hard to read, but stills awesome!)
Can’t wait to see this finished =D

I have to admit…having large scale landmarks to work with is REALLY helpful for the Union story arc, and I’m flattered and honored that you’ve actually PUT UNION INTO IT. (bows) Thank you!

Marvelous work I must say…Ace is right…you’ve definitely got a way with setting a wonderful tone to your writing.

No need to be so humble, my friend; your Union mod is near the top of the scale in terms of the degree to which it’s both intertwined with and dependent upon the Great Powers. Union also represents one possible direction for the GSB galaxy’s history…only time will tell if the ideology that is the Union’s foundation can bring about “peace without victory,” if you know what I mean.

I guess I read way too much non-fiction as a kid. :smiley:

In other news:
Be sure to review the special note at the very end of the thread’s first post, please. General rule of thumb: “if in doubt, don’t post it right away”.

There is a VERY specific range of data that I want to fill my thread with. It’s hard to concisely define that range right now because this is the first time that more of my intricate backstory for the game is going public since the Classic Dreadnoughts mod came out. What I posted in that famous thread was largely just a small sample as a “test case” for gauging community reaction. I was unprepared for the overwhelmingly positive response from the forum (and from Cliffski!), and I’ve been struggling to catch up ever since. So much more content for me to post; so little time!

To the multiple modders out there who have asked for certain canon/fanon things from me and who are still patiently waiting, you have my thanks – please continue to be patient with me. Quality takes time. Considering the complex and game-fundamental nature of some of the requests I’ve been sent, I’m definitely not going to rush this solely for the sake of getting something out there. That would be the worst thing to do.

The map has been updated to version 1.20. Links are now pointing to the new version, and the preview has been refreshed.

Lots of graphical tweaks, refinements, nudging of existing content. Some small deletions & additions, too (Parasites & Nomads; more detailed Swarm invasion routes). A map legend has been added, as well as an explanation of map scale. Which brings me to…

…A point that I can’t emphasize enough: While there is a small and a medium edition of the map, the large edition is the “standard”. Lots of details get smudged or blurred at the lesser pixel resolutions, which is frustrating but inevitable. Please do not ruin your eyesight by mistakenly attempting to be guided solely by the map preview on display on page 1 – use one of the download links to open a full-sized copy. :smiley:

Perhaps even better than retention of fine detail, I also completed the enormous task of re-scaling the large edition so that it’s now calibrated to a scale of one light-year per pixel. When you zoom in to 500 or 600% magnification, the epic depth of this map becomes apparent!

Now you have a more emotionally-gripping answer for one reason why the Great Powers are so named: they’re huuuuuge. Several of the modder-created races could be rolled-up together and easily fit into the shirt pocket of just the Federation or the Order. And they’d be a mere footnote when superimposed over the full extent of the Empire – a dominion so vast that slightly less than half of it is even shown on this map! :open_mouth:

Wow, that’s a lot of light-years if that’s the case.

I wonder how the various factions can administrate all that volume, much less patrol it. I’m getting the impression that the Empire is a developmentally stagnant sort of polity, but they must have some damned good bureucrats and govermental structure to keep their Empire together. (Thought not good enough for the Rebels, it seems).

suggestion: grid numbers (to more easely comment on speciffic areas of the map)

deserters would be quite easy to work into this map aswell. there is a rift-like anomaly far down that looks like the Reva nebula. the rebel terretory also lies between this and order terretory.

The grid and scaling are nice touches…seems you did read the PM I sent you. I also like the appearance of the “Demon Patch” for Eich’s Pirates; very nice touch.

once again…job well done on the Map.

Astro, I’m afraid you’re one of few people, which imagination are same as mine or even surpasses it :slight_smile:

Hmm… that sounded a bit… egocentric… i think that the imagination of a person cannot be measured.

We Jews can measure anything and anywhere :slight_smile: (c)

Of course it can – IF you have the right kind of scale. And thanks to Archduke Astro, mine is out at the mechanic’s shop getting a much needed re-calibration. :slight_smile:

Thanks, folks – you’re all very kind to compliment me so. :slight_smile:

I think that, thanks to Archuke Astro, EVERYONE is recalibrating their imaginations a little…props to him for having the courage to undertake a project with such far-reaching ramifications. It’s clear that this is a frighteningly complex effort; God only knows how long he’s been meticulously slaving away over this masterpiece.

He has managed to give us something I didn’t think was possible: boundaries without limitations.

He created a framework within which the authors of this forum (me, Astro, AcePalarum, Forge, and others) can build our stories. He also did it in such a way as to leave HUGE regions of space empty enough for smaller scale “local” landmarks to be included within stories, without those interfering with the grand scheme of things in GSB.

Archduke, the need in backstories of original GSB races is growing exponentially…

In other words, when we will see addition of original GSB races’ info? I know you’ve already got the bulk of this stuff written; how soon until it’s dressed-up and ready to go onstage??? :slight_smile:

So the timeline that’s hinted at in the supplemental fiction of the Classic Dreadnoughts mod is just fantastic, and I’m stoked that there is a larger project related to it in the works!

Is it possible to throw our writing talents in here and help add backstory for the Great Powers, as they’re now called by the community?

When the time is right; i.e., when I’m no longer ill as hell, when work pressures give me some time, and when I can corral the data into a form that I’m happy with.

See above co-reply to WarStalkeR. Once I am able to get certain things posted here and done so in the way that they need to be done, the answer to your question is " a somewhat qualified ‘yes’ ". Details to follow later.

So, in the “Great Powers” fanon of GSB, what mods are needed besides the Classic Dreadnoughts? Uni-T and Union, correct?

Yes. And one or two others that I’m not at liberty to comment upon just yet.

Once again Archduke, You’ve flattered and honored me (and I’m sure Darkstar as well) It’s a Pleasure to know that the official races are in such careful and detailed hands as yours. I wouldn’t have it any other way – I’m sure plenty of others feel the same way about this.

Take your time with this thread. Sure, we’re eager to see qwhat you’ve written, but it’s important for you to get this done RIGHT rather than get this done in a hurry.