Better Tech = More Healthcare Demand? Why?

I’ve noticed that the latest build has a positive relation between technology and healthcare demand. Why? Wouldn’t advanced technology translate to improved medical equipment and therefore decrease the demand for healthcare? What are people’s thoughts?

My reasoning on this is that newer tech means more treatments, thus conditions and illnesses that used to be untreatable suddenly ARE treatable, so there is more demand. Imagine how much healthcare demand would rise with new treatments to reverse blindness or deafness for example. Its hard to now whether the quicker, easier, cheaper benefits of medical technology outweigh the extra demand caused by new treatment possibilities.

1 Like

“newer tech means more treatments, thus conditions and illnesses that used to be untreatable suddenly ARE treatable” - Why is there no impact on health if that’s the logic behind it?

And while we’re at it: Technology should have an impact on co2 and the environment, shouldn’t it? (because of more environment-friendly methods like smart farming)

1 Like

I think the positive impact of tech on the environment is very much dependent on what tech we’re talking about and there may well be other tech that wipes out one tech’s improvements in this area. You can innovate in many ways with many goals in mind, and in practice, lacking

special incentives

which the game covers through things like car electrification or various environmentally friendly tech investments such as smart meters or microgeneration grants etc.

tech isn’t necessarily automatically a way to a clean and green existence.

I do think the health bonus ought to be implicit tho. And in fact, if tech makes it easier to intervene earlier, people are healthier for longer and it causes healthcare demand to reduce again.
Preventative care tends to be far more cost-effective than reactive care.

That’s true but I’m being pragmatic: Better technology creates the possibilities for environment-friendy innovations - the proper way would be to make the policies you described as “special incentives” more effective but I don’t think that’s possible game-wise (at least it’s more complicated).

Furthermore, I think you have to assume that there are some general regulations in play. Obviously, the game can’t simulate all that stuff. And it’s kinda frustrating that most of the “special incentives” in this game are very interventionist (subsidies and bans) and stuff like the Co2 tax has an arbitrary cap (let’s ignore the fact that you choose a percentage rate which makes no sense; and that co2 is irrelevant). I guess it’s to be expected of a game that wants you to micromanage stuff - pricing externalities via an ETS/cap-and-trade and letting the market decide which technologies prevail would probably be too simple. It’s still kinda frustrating though.

“there may well be other tech that wipes out one tech’s improvements in this area” - We already have that massive (and absolutely ridiculous) environment quality reduction by growth - even though pretty much every industrialized country has decoupled growth from environmental impact (qualitative growth). That should account for this, shouldn’t it?

Ranting aside, I still think that there should be a positive effect on the environment. Doesn’t have to be massive but a significant impact would be fair. (to balance this, you could make it harder to max out technology - which is kinda easy anyway.)

Tl;dr: The game needs to have a statist bias but you could reduce that bias.

1 Like

Are you sure? I think if anything, looking at the air around cities, and the global measurements of CO2 emissions lately during covid lockdowns has shown this not to be the case surely? STuff is still being predominantly moved around by fossil fuel powered transport that is creating air pollution, climate change, and particulate problems.

I’m not saying decoupling growth from enviornmental impact is impossible, it clearly is not, but we definitely are not there yet.

1 Like

I’m not saying that we’re already there. There’s still a long way to go. But decoupling is already a thing…

Even though most countries have inefficient environmental policies… There’s so much potential with stuff like carbon pricing.

What’s with the other stuff?

1 Like