- Start a new campaign (or possibly not I’m not sure).
- Create a nice cheap fighter design.
- Save the design.
- Buy several squadrons of your new design.
- Create a new design of expensive, powerful, super Cruiser.
- Save the design with the same name as the fighter design and overwrite.
- Observe that your fighter squadrons are now squadrons of 16 Cruisers (use autodeploy for battles).
- End turn and then conquer the galaxy (before the impending bug fix).
Note: This works with any design but fighters to cruisers is most exploiting. But don’t use it as it will screw up the whole online battle system.
PART 2 (Using _mk1 as the example name)
- Build a design of ship during a campaign with ‘_mk1’ at the end of its name.
- Open a different campaign (may also work within the same campaign…)
- Delete the ‘_mk1’ design.
- Design a ship with the same name but without the ‘_mk1’ at the end.
- Try to save the design, the game will complain and say it is renaming it with an ‘_mk2’ or other ‘_mk#’.
- Delete the design that the game renamed, remove the ‘_mk1’ or ‘_mk#’ from the name field at the top (and click away?) and try to save again.
- The game will now rename the design to ‘_mk1’ which matches your already existing design.
- Your ships of this design throughout all campaign saves will now be switcharooed.
Note: This whole same design name system is broken. I discovered the bug by mistake and it broke my campaign save permanently when the game somehow lost one of the designs that are supposed to save internally with the campaign.
I fixed my campaign save by messing around with the ship designs in the game files. I am of the impression that all ship designs that are built in a campaign game should be saved internally to the campaign (in the same way as captured ships). The game didn’t do this for one of my fighter designs that I deleted, crashing the game and breaking the save. This seems to be related to this bug: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5605
If I delete a design, the campaign game will normally retain it. If I then go to the battle/survival section of the game and delete the design from the fleet deployment screen, that campaign save (and all using that design) will become broken.
I suspect the same will occur if you delete a ship design from one campaign that is being used in another campaign - the other campaign will become broken (untested).