Carbon Capture and Storage

Carbon capture and storage doesn’t work.

(Honest Government Ad | Carbon Capture and Storage - YouTube)

Unfortunately, the link doesn’t work.

1 Like

There is CO2 leakage in Direct Air Capture. But to say that it doesn’t work at all, doesn’t seem to be a valid claim.

1 Like

I’m also not a fan of CCS as a solution to climate change, but that is the current situation, not the future one, or one that would become apparent with a large scale of investment by government. Its certainly possible to do direct air capture, as recent news shows:

So surely CCS is possible, but just perhaps extremely expensive. I am aware of its very dubious history though. Its included in the game as an expensive option that reduces emissions without upsetting the oil-lobby too much.

That plant I linked to though is laughably small… its equivalent to taking 790 cars off the road and works out at $600/ton of emissions captured. Hugely expensive compared to planting trees, or encouraging a switch to lower emission vehicles, or m,ore economic heating.

2 Likes

Now that we are talking about ways of dealing with climate chage without upseting oil barons may I suggest implementing some form of geoingeniering into the game?
Also there are other forms of carbon capture that are cheaper like enhanced weathering, at 80 - 160 $ per ton removed, although they get less atention because they don’t use some form of fancy tech.

2 Likes

Why is there no boost to gdp/employment for all that construction?

1 Like

Or a reduction in energy effiviency? Since it is highly energy intensive.

1 Like