changing missile.dds?

hi,im working on a stargate ancients/alterans mod,so im trying to change the missile.dds for my race to make a drone launcher,but the only way i found its to change the missiles for every race and i dont want to do that.

so does anybody know how to do it? or it cant be done and im wasting my time with that?

Behold my city ship hull

As ou have mentioned, you change the missile for one, you change for all.
However there may be other solutions that could work.

For example, increase the flare size (glowy bit) for the missile . . since the drones had a glow to them.

As for the hull, very nice :slight_smile:
What size is it in game ?

[-boggles in astonishment-]
Did you turn that graphic into a fully working hull design for the game???
I really dig the skewed perspective you chose.
You…must…share…
(please? :smiley: )

yes thats is a screenshot of the game and i didnt mean it to have that perpective the picture i used to make it isnt that way ,i dont know how it happened,but it looks good. i want to release it after making the aurora class and jumper hulls,and some modules for them.

so far i have the race filesistem,that hull,a zpm module with a custom zpm icon and im testing the drone launcher.

about the size,its looks really big in the game and i think it should

Please tell me more about its perceived size in the game. Is your original .dds sized at 512x512 pixels, or something really sweet like 1024x1024 pixels? You do have control over its apparent size in gameplay, independent of the pixel dimensions of the original graphic. Even though finding a large and heavily-detailed graphic for the .dds can often be a frustrating (or futile) quest, it has the major benefit of looking great at smaller sizes in-game while still having enough sharpness and edge contrast to survive being displayed much larger if you choose. I’m having trouble finding high-res originals for a design that I’m constructing, so I know how nice it is to have a really good one to start with. You did an awesome job with yours.

the .dds its 512x512 because i didnt know what the max size is if any,but it could be bigger,its looks bigger than the uniT gigant platform already.(thats the biggest hull i seen in gsb).

and yeah finding a good image of the aurora class its being hard

In modding GSB, you can definitely go up to 1024x1024 pixels with the source .dds for a ship. That’s quadruple the resolution of 512x512 pixels. Indeed, i’m not even certain that 1024 is the upper limit. Perhaps one of the other .dds experts on the Mod Forum will clarify that point.

The values you input for the height and width variables in that ship’s textfile are what really governs how small or large it is actually seen on-screen. Altering those will allow you to compare it to (for example) the Uni-T Dominator. That’s one heck of a ruler to measure with. :wink: Just be sure that you input the same numbers for width and height, or you’ll stretch it in unpleasant ways.

I am fairly certian there is no upper limit except for commen sense.

If you are using the Dominator core as a comparision it has the dimentions of 500 x 500. Please note that this size or larger can lead to some inconveniences. For example:

• The Swarm (Smart Bomb) Anti Missile System will not reach to the edge of your ship rendering it inefective.
  • Weapon turrets at the rear of your ship may never fire since they are out of range.
  • Cruisers will be able to get under your shields and pound away at your armor <-useful to balance out the insane number of weapons :wink:
  • You might not be able to deploy the ship in some senarios due to its size.

The numbers for the width and length do not have to be to same but they have to maintain the same ratio.
For example i have a graphic that is 400x800, so if i make the ingame image 200x400 there will be no distortion.
However a square image makes scaling very easy :slight_smile:

Fortunately you don’t need to change missile.dds at all. Here’s the drone I’m using for the mod I’m currently working on:

[config]
unlockcost = 0
lockable = 0
armour_penetration = 30
category = "WEAPONS"
classname = "SIM_MissileModule"
cost = 61
crew_required = 8
damage = 10
description = "Due to better armor technology, the original Somtaaw Drones were made obsolete.  These drones combine the explosive tech of the retired mimic technology and remote-control tech of the retired leech technology to create a very accurate and long-range suicide drone."
fire_interval = 1100
flareuvid = 1
flaresize = 8
fuel = 2000
guiname = "Beastslayer Suicide Drone"
has_decoys = 0
has_flare = 1
has_splines = 0
hitpoints = 50
icon = turret
max_range = 2000
min_range = 10
missilelength = 5.0
missilespeed = 0.47
missilewidth = 3.0
name = "slayer_frigate_suicidedrone"
powerconsumed = 3
shield_penetration = 30
size = "FRIGATE"
slot_type = TURRET
sound = data/sounds/missile_launch.ogg
soundvolume = 0.5
tracking_speed = 30
turnspeed = 7.0
turret_sprite = "turret_miss_v1"
turretsize = 7
warhead = EXPLOSIVE
weight = 38
uisortpos = 5002
restricted = "Beastslayers"

[dataitems]
0 = cost,DECIMAL
1 = weight,DECIMAL
2 = hitpoints,DECIMAL
3 = powerconsumed,DECIMAL
4 = max_range,DECIMAL
5 = damage,DECIMAL
6 = fire_interval,INTEGER
7 = tracking_speed,DECIMAL
8 = shield_penetration,DECIMAL
9 = armour_penetration,DECIMAL
10 = fuel,DECIMAL
11 = missilespeed,DECIMAL
12 = crew_required,INTEGER
13 = min_range,DECIMAL
14 = has_decoys,BOOL

For your mod, you’d just need to change the flareuvid = 2 for yellow, make the flaresize whatever size you want the drones to be, and change missilelength and missilewidth to a very low value. Of course, you should also use your own name, guiname, description, and and restricted =. Being the ancients, you will also want to change the damage, both penetrations, turn speed, tracking speed, etc.
Unless you want your modded weapons and modules to be useable by every race (including the official ones), make sure you include the restricted = “your race’s name here” line.
Also, by omitting trail_fade_time, you give that variable a value of zero and will end up with no missile smoke trail (a good thing if you are making a drone). Another thing I did here was to make hasdecoys = 0, and omit decoy_release_range so that each launcher fires one missile that doesn’t ever split apart into multiple missiles (another good thing if you are making a drone).

i guess il have to do it that way,and its a shame cuz i tried my drone.dds replacing all the missiles and it looks great,but there is no way to restrict that.

thank for the advice,btw peter if u change uisortpos = 5002 to 1000 your module will be at the top of the list in the design screen,thats always good for testing.

experiences multiple orgasms

by the way, just get the largest sprite that you can find- don’t worry about a size limit coz there is none.

You definitely didnt play any of my mods. The Federation Utopia Starbase and the Babylon 5 station are bigger than the Unit platform, for example (no way, since they are space stations). About the Ancient City, it looks very good, but are u sure it looks good “OK” when u put turrets that are seen from the top view placed on a perspective sprite?? U didnt get a top view good sprite???

If u make the Ancient city really big u will need to use a sprite of 1024x1024 if u can, for avoid pixelated sprites. I already have my own thoughts for a future Stargate mod, but that will be in a far far away time galaxy lol.

I believe I had a drone module included in my Tau’ri module pack (viewtopic.php?t=4604). It’s about the closest I could get to actually being a drone without permanently changing the image like you were looking at doing.

U can try using plasma weapons. STYLE = FRAGMENTED. Making em very small. Maybe u get something.