Comparing oil and rare earth metals

i wish, but i’m not so lucky to be american

1 Like

maybe make rare earth mining licences, instead of subsides, if there’s a rare earth crisis the govt doesn’t need to subsidize mining rare earth (witch would already be very profitable considering there’s a shortage) companies would do it on their own if it was a real shortage, govt just needs to allow it and give them mining licences, implement a uncancellable policy on mining licences, kinda like we have for labour laws

2 Likes

Hmmm interesting. Perhaps the policy could be altered to support both, with nothing but licensing at the low end, going to small and then big subsidies at the high end. That used to be impossible but I added functions to allow non linear costs for policies a while back, so this would be a possible change :D.

4 Likes

i would love to see it implemented

1 Like

Thanks again for the reply. I do put thought into my suggestions on how to iron out the creases here, and it would help to know whether or not something is possible on the coding level. Is it possible to program a crisis decrease itself when active?

Doing this would create the oscillations we see in reality.

1 Like

I’m not sure there is a current method for doing this, although theoretically one could be added. I shall give it some thought as I’d like to have a more general solution rather than quickly hacking a fix for this case.

2 Likes

I’m thinking about this today.
I could very easily add a blue bubble that simulates the current cost of rare earth metals (actually the name is kind of inaccurate, there are lots, but awkwardly distributed…). This could have inputs from GDP and technology in terms of demand, and maybe foreign relations/international trade in terms of supply (specifically relations with china, who have a lot of the metals).

This could then trigger the crisis, when the price reached a certain level.

The crisis itself could then create a very long inertia effect where it increased supply of the metals, by incentivising mining.

This is all easy to do. Although I need an icon that clearly screams out ‘price of rare earth metals!’.

Anyway, my only concern is the additional UI clutter on the main menu. I basically need some code that hides (or really deprioritizes the size of) the blue bubble until it becomes an input to an active situation. This sounds clunky, but I think I may benefit from having this in a bunch of areas of the game. It would also be something really helpful for modders, as it means you could mod in a complex simulation with 10+ new blue bubbles and set criteria for when they actually become noticeable.

I’m still thinking about it, but as with almost all things regarding Democracy 4, its more of a UI challenge than a code one (and obviously an ongoing balance challenge too).

3 Likes

Should it impact foreign relations/the poor? Due to the exploitation of the Congolese people/the poor (menial work/unsafe work/hard labour/child labour)? Especially if we agree to allow Child Labour in game?

Shouldn’t it also impact the environment?

1 Like

The child labour thing is really cobalt I think, and actually hardly any of it is mined by child labour in Congo. A lot now comes from south America or Australia. Also, rather harshly, it would in any case be affecting the poor in another country, so would not have an impact in the country you run.

1 Like

Would that affect foreign relations, harming the poor of another country, indirectly?

1 Like

I’ve implemented this. it currently works with the same numbers as before, but now there is a new blue bubble for prices. It will show an input to the crisis situation when it triggers.
I’m working on the situation itself triggering a long term price trend down.

Also I redid the icons for rare earth metal mining, and the crisis so they use the same ingot icon as this new item, to make it clearer what stuff represents.

3 Likes

Looks good, thank you for this. I’ll reiterate that currency strength should also be an input. Neutral at 50%, makes the problem worse in the lower half and mitigates it in the upper half.

2 Likes

good idea, I’ll add this

1 Like

4 Likes

Could we have percentage tooltips for all graphs?

Graphs in blue icons and graphs in focus groups?

1 Like

Good point, this shouldn’t be difficult.

2 Likes

Could the water shortage be also simulated in a similar way?

2 Likes

Rare Earth Mining would probably exacerbate the water shortage, right?

2 Likes

Uhh, why?

You require water to refine minerals. There should be a similar situation with cash crops which are water-intensive when/if they are added into the game (sugarcane for example).

4 Likes