COMPILATION OF PROBLEMS AND THEIR FIXES. READ THIS FIRST!!!

Unless something has changed in the last week (or the problem is specifically after installing GC, which seems unlikely), I can say that I have no problems running via Steam under Windows or Ubuntu. I think there would be many many more reports of this issue if it was happening to everyone who plays via Steam.

Also, speaking as a software dev myself, saying “I want a fix to this -now-” is not likely to get you one any quicker. I think we can assume that Cliff isn’t sitting on his ass laughing at our problems.

Just as a general note, not specific to GSB (and I’m happy for Cliff to contradict me here), the best bug reports state:

1. What happens (not what you think is happening behind the scenes, just simply what you see happening) including precise wording of any error dialogs.
  2. What should have happened (if it’s not blatantly obvious).
  3. Precise steps to reproduce (e.g. install game via steam, install expansion packs x and y, run via steam client, exit, run via steam client again) which have been confirmed on a clean install by the user.
  4. Any error logs written by the app (though where these are very large or where there are many different ones it’s often a good idea to wait for the dev to ask for specific ones).

Has anybody tried using the time scale and having their computer crash to a blue screen?

i’m playing GSB on a mac and for some reason the “right-click” functions on the pre-battle screen (like mass deploy and change quantity functions) don’t work at random intervals. Sometimes the keyboard doesn’t function at all. Although it takes a simple restart of the program to fix the problems (most times), I just want to know if this is my mac’s problem or is it a mac version problem?

I recently got a fancy new monitor and got this crash at startup. Deleting the folder C:\Users****\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles solved the problem, however, it also deleted all my unlocked modules. That sucks. I saved a copy of the folder to my desktop before deleting, is there any way I can get my modules back without having to play through the campaign again?

Never played the demo. I see I still have the expansion pack races I bought though.

Looks like if you copy the unl.dat file from your old folder into the new folder GSB should have made, it should bring back your old unlocked modules list and honor balance.

Much obliged, that did the trick. I have the modules back, but the single-player missions are still fresh as if I never played. That’s fine though, I’ll have some fun with them again.

For future reference, if you want your old records on the missions back, just copy the sc.dat file the same way. Have fun!

For everyone having issues with steam rejecting humble bundle multiplayer keys for GSB, run the game outside of steam then put in the activation key and everything should work fine.

Steam by default installs the game to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Gratuitous Space Battles
Run the game launcher from this folder.
Select online and enter your multiplayer key.
Enter desired username.
The game is now activated!
Enjoy.