Confusing fitting station layouts

I’m sorry if this has been asked before, but my searches didn’t come up with any obvious posts adressing this issue.

As I’m building different factories, and having fun doing so, it often baffles me as to why the different fitting stations are designed the way they are.

It seems “random” at times as to why some stations have the import slot on one side and the next station has it on the opposite side.
While some stations have yet another 1 or two protruding “blocks” in different directions, making fitting them snuggly together seem like a daunting task.

I’m sure there must be some kind of “master plan” behind the way they look, but I can’t say I understand much of it… yet…

Someone enlighten me, please?

I guess it’s mostly to force you to think about placement.
If each station would’ve been just a straight line (1x3), players would just plonk down each station next to each other.

Which is basically the case for 90% of the slots anyways since they are almost all 1x3… :stuck_out_tongue:

Would be interesting to have advanced research where you can place a special station down where you can adjust the layout of other stations.
Or maybe have research stations unlock research for station layouts after all research has been completed. So it would be an end game feature.

My fear is that the optimisation task of ‘winning’ at the game would be too easy if everything snapped together really neatly. Eventually I plan to add some area of effect stations to handle QA which should make things even more interesting in that department :smiley: