Controls on School textbooks

I was thinking that a new policy for state (or private) control of the content in textbooks. The player can either choose to make textbooks more “patriotic,” for example not talking about some of the less than savoury things a country has done over the years. Doing this would give a boost to patriotism and conservatism.

Alternatively, the player could also choose to strictly control the content in textbooks to at least try and maintain a more neutral footing. This would probably require government regulation, which would increase bureaucracy. Liberals would be pleased.

This is in fact an actual issue, at least in the US. Specific textbooks have been written to push a political agenda. For example: Harvard historian examines how textbooks taught white supremacy – Harvard Gazette. My own US History teacher from High School had to replace most of his textbooks after he discovered quite a noticeable “conservative bent,” in the content. US Coups and meddling around the world were glossed over, and the word Muslim was misspelled multiple times, among other things.

2 Likes

Maybe there should be one education policy which swivels between regressive and progressibe, that should cover secularity, religiosity, patriotism, etc.

1 Like

I think that already exists in the game, as a science focused or religion focused system.

2 Likes

Maybe it could be made more general?

Yeah that would probably work.

1 Like