Crash when attempting to edit ships from deploy screen

As topic, if I click on “new ship” or right-click to edit any existing design, the game immediately closes. Totally generic “GSB.exe has stopped working” message and nothing new in the debugdata folder. The ship design button from the main menu works fine, however.

EDIT: This originally had “1.15” in the title, however I’m getting this with the latest patch (and a clean install)

Strange. Is this from a fresh install, or one that was updated by patching? Any modding or changes applied maybe?
Cheers

updated by patching, no mods or manual changes
I originally thought it could be related to one of my ship designs no longer being legal, so I’ve deleted all the designs it’ll let me delete, leaving behind:
federation fighter
federation gazelle
federation tiger armoured
tutorial cruiser
tutorial figther
tutorial frigate
…all of which won’t delete

For what it’s worth, the federation gazelle IS invalid (if I try to load it after clicking “ship design” on the main menu)

should I try an uninstall/directory wipe/reinstall so I can play the game properly or would you rather I kept this bug going so you can track it down?

Oh definitely try wiping and reinstalling, that must work.

I’m ashamed to say this is the first time I’ve bothered to try a full reinstall - it still crashes (1.23 full)

The steps:

• Uninstall game from control panel
  • Delete remaining “Gratuitous Space Battles Beta” folder from program files (x86)
  • Install full game (from email download)
  • Launch, go to any scenario, click “edit design” or “new design”

crashes

Renamed “(user)\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles” folder and retried (confirmed that my saves were gone because I had to redo the tutorial) - crashed
Renamed “(user)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Gratuitous Space Battles Beta” folder (even tho, as the file path for the full game is different, this shouldn’t affect it) - crashed

Is there anywhere else I can delete to rule out a random corrupt setting at my end? I always choose to send error reports so if you’ve registered your file signing cert with MS you should be picking them up…

I think because the topic had “1.15” in the title it didn’t get any attention

is there anything else I can delete that the game might be picking up on? would a process monitor log be useful?

maybe…

I occasionally get a crash in 1.24 (clean install, unpatched) when transitioning to the ship editor from deployment or vice versa by editing an existing ship. It only happens every now and then though and I get an error that a ship hull or turret could not be found. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3698

I am working on the turret error crash right now. I know a workaround I could do that would stop the crash, but I really would prefer to replicate it msyelf so I can see why it happens, so i know I’m not just papering over cracks. if anyone has cast iron repeatable steps to reproduce it (I haven’t managed that yet) I’d LOVE to see them.
I suspect it involves the alliance fusion torpedo module at some stage of the process.

for me, the steps for my crash are “install game, go to deployment screen, attempt to create a new design, or edit an existing one” :frowning:

the program files directory, the user\documents\my games\gratuitous… directory, and the user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Gratuitous… directory well all deleted or moved before reinstalling
EDIT:
the last things it does is:

• the “CreateFile” operation for C:\Program Files (x86)\Gratuitous Space Battles_temp_deployment for read/write access, which fails with ACCESS DENIED
  • the “QuerySecurityFile” operation for C:\Program Files (x86)\Gratuitous Space Battles, which succeeds
  • the “CreateFile” operation for C:\Program Files (x86)\Gratuitous Space Battles\debugdata\errors.txt for read/write access, which fails with ACCESS DENIED

I think it’s trying to save my current deployment before going to the design screen, but it’s trying to save it into the program files directory (where I obviously don’t have write privs without escalation) and for some reason the virtual redirect to user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Gratuitous… isn’t working

EDIT2: if I run the game as admin, I don’t crash, which implies my guess is correct. obviously, anyone on XP without admin privs, or anyone on vista or higher without admin privs and with UAC turned off, should encounter the same crash (file system virtualisation is handled by UAC). I don’t know why the virtual redirection isn’t working for me - task manager confirms virtualisation is enabled on GSB.exe when its running - but it ain’t, and it used to, coz I have debug files in my virtualstore dir for the beta

just bumping this to say that with 1.26, attempting to edit a ship / create a design from the deployment screen now errors out with an error about not being able to create file _temp_deployment, which tends to support my earlier investigations

hmm, _temp_deployment is when the game autosaves your fleet (for the time being). sounds to me like the game isn’t allowed to create an autosaved fleet. now i’m wondering why i’m not experiencing a single one of these bugs…

depends what OS you’re on, and whether you’re an admin on the local machine

for some reason the UAC file virtualisation that redirects the write to a sensible place… isn’t

That whole area of windows is crap. Because check out debug.txt and drawdebug.txt in the debugdata folder. They get written to all the time, and it never goes wrong. And it uses exactly the same code. So I’d love some genius from Microsoft to explain why one works and the other doesn’t.
I could mvoe the temp deployment into the mydocs stuff in the next patch though, all the same.

except they haven’t been written to either, since around the same time (though they were before)*
even though my specific error on my machine is as a result of file virtualisation failing on my machine, it’s only supposed to be there to accomodate older programs, as a backwards-compatibility thing
it still means the game is likely to crash on a winxp machine if the user isn’t an admin, or on a vista/win7 machine if the user isn’t an admin and UAC is turned off

*by which I mean, the ones in virtualstore haven’t - the ones in the real folder were only written to on the 22nd, which is when I did my “run as admin” test

just confirming that this still happens in 1.27

damn… oh well

Hi,

I signed up just to confirm I’m getting this issue as well. I have the steam version and with v1.26 I think it was didn’t have this issue, but since the 1.27 patch update this problem has started.

It doesn’t happen every time you go to edit a ship but it happens often enough to be annoying.

Running Windows 7 x64.

If it helps, sometimes it sort of crashes and the game window becomes black with the game window border visible (ie drops out of full screen mode). If I alt tab out and back in again some C++ error is showing.
May or may not be connected but it sometimes shows after clicking the button to edit a ship.

Hope this helps.

I think I have found this, and am currently testing a fix for it. If anyone fancies helping out with a trial patch for it, and you bought direct from positech, can you email me at cliff@positech.co.uk?
Cheers!