Crashing when giving new move orders.

Although not looking for this new tool I decided to try it out and the new move orders (click ship, click location) causes crashing all the time.

The errors in the log is…

14/9/2012 - 3::14 - Untranslated HRESULT
14/9/2012 - 3::14 - D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
14/9/2012 - 3::15 - Untranslated HRESULT
14/9/2012 - 3::15 - D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
14/9/2012 - 3::15 - Untranslated HRESULT
14/9/2012 - 3::15 - D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
14/9/2012 - 3::17 - Untranslated HRESULT
14/9/2012 - 3::17 - D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
14/9/2012 - 3::17 - Untranslated HRESULT
14/9/2012 - 3::17 - D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
14/9/2012 - 3::22 - Untranslated HRESULT
14/9/2012 - 3::22 - D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
14/9/2012 - 3::22 - Untranslated HRESULT
14/9/2012 - 3::22 - D3DXCreateEffect

Berny
What else came up with the patch?

Hi, the first release of patch 1.60 was flawed, but we have just replaced it. You should probably in this case just re-download and re-install the entire game from the original download link, which will ensure everything is fine.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Good thing I’ve always saved all my downloads!
I guess it was time for a new buildup of ships - haven’t had a redesign in months.

Berny
Time for tat touchup

I have a similar problem - if I give orders to all weapons on a ship simultaneously the game crashes an instant later. Giving orders to one turret at a time is fine though.
I’ll try reinstalling.

I downloaded the patch 5 minutes ago and have the same problem. I will try again in an hour or so and report back.

I got the same problem on the Steam version of GSB.
Must I re-install?

EDIT: Don’t know why, but now it’s working O.O

Same problem here, this time me and Ponyus installed the patch and tried it some minutes ago and had exactly the same issue… halp xD

Same problem just did fresh install crashes right after doing a move order

Has anyone found a way around this or am I the only one still getting this problem? I guess I could go back to release 159 kind of a shame though I wanted to try the direct control out

You’re far from being the only one. A quick review of recent Support posts right here over the last few weeks proves that several other players are also experiencing serious problems with the v1.60 patch’s RTS controls. For now, all we can do is wait for a solution.

Just to report, I’ve just had the same issue. I was skimming the forums, heard about the new control options (really, there ought to be a “version release thread!”, as if you don’t follow the forums regularly, you have no idea!) and it crashed out the first time I tried it (I was still trying to work out how it worked, so I tried adding a new order (I think it was “always move” or something) and it crashed out).

It’s probably not all that surprising that it’s buggy, after all, it is a fairly major change to the set-up. (I was actually surprised to see any new updates at all, given GTB is out.) While you would like to think it ought to have gone easily, these things never do, do they! (I hope Cliffski can find a solution - in due course; one suspects it might be one of those things that might be not easy to fix), and that it’s not something that turns to be incompatible practically with GSB, since if and when it works, it’s a huge addition to the gameplay!) Until then, I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Edit: Forgot to mention, as it may be a factor, OS is XP, SP3.

am i the only one that is not having a problem with this

So it seems. Enjoy it, then!

I dont think the XP operating system is a factor as GSB v1.60 works perfectly on my system

If you could give exact destructions, that could prove useful to cliff to help trace the error.
(and help other people avoid it until its resolved)