Crippled and unrealistic names

I really like the game, but there are a couple of things that I find quite annoying:

It may sound marginal, but it’s a shame that the game cripples names with special characters, rendering the common German surname Müller to Muller.

Also the name file is not really realistic. “Moeppel” is not a real name at all and the name file lacks older given names. Most of the people who carry names that are in the namefile are not even in their thirties. I already edited germannames.txt, but still all the Umlauts are missing. Is there a way to fix this?

I suggest replacing the umlauts with alternative characters. The way I understand it, “Mueller” is a perfectly acceptable substitute for “Müller” in German, for example. Rather than dropping those names, or spending a lot of effort on reworking the text system to support letters not part of the standard English alphabet (which it apparently doesn’t), this would be the easiest thing to do.

These characters will be correctly rendered after the next patch (1.09), and a full German translation is underway… :smiley: