Current Work In progress

I’ve been trying to do my part, but apparently none of my friends feel like playing any games that they have to actually pay for. Even though I’ve shown GSB to a bunch of them and without exception, the reaction has been “That is really cool.” I guess there’s no pleasing some people. -_-’

But you can be guaranteed a few bucks from my wallet any time you put out expansion material!

New fleet overlay UI for making it easier to keep an eye on what ships are taking damage. (see far left of screen).
What do you think?

grins in approval

looks great! can’t wait to get that ported in the game. no more having to click on every ship to see their damage status. one thing, though… what about the fighter overlay? does it show overall damage from an entire squadron, or just the “leader”?

great, realtime quick feedback on how the fighters are doing.

clicking on the ship/overlay button centers you to that ship yes .?

Not to be negative, but it seems like it would be a bit cluttered with large volumes of ships.

I’m interested at times at what my ships are doing. That target line that’s drawn when you mouseover a weapon in battle - can we get something like that for the driving instruction as well?

did you not notice the scrollbar…?

Right, but you have to think about what kind of information is available to the user on a given snapshot. There’s not much to see if there’s 25 undamaged ships generally in the way of the visual.

Fighters squads I can see it being more useful for, since it’s harder to visually pick a squad out on the gamefield. Otherwise, the game already is pretty solid with the existing damage effects not to need it, if you ask me.

But hey, if it’s in already, it’s in. Won’t hurt.

for fighetr squads it is indeed the aggregate of the whole squad yes. And yes, clicking the icons does center the view on that ship.
There are scrollbars, but I agree that if you have, say 40 different ships and a small screen res, it will be tricky to keep an eye on them all (although I’d contend still easier than not having it and having to scroll around). I’m not sure what the best solution for that is. Maybe supporting multiple columns, maybe auto-adjusting the icon size so they all fit in. Suggestions welcome.
I’m also undecided about whether it needs a button to show/hide toggle this information. I’m not keen on trying to squeeze another button by the minimap. It toggles off with the UI key 9U) as you would expect. I’d appreciate feedback on this, both its usability, features and the look of it. Part of em likes it, part of me thinks it clashes with the blocky industrial look of the rest of the UI.

I would suggest sorting the most damaged ships to the top of the list so they will be the ones that are visible when there are more ships than can be shown at once.

Cliff have you played SOASE you could nick the minimised tabbed sidebar that showed planets and fleets within them and modify it for GSB, say, smaller icons and the ability to hide the types ships (only show fighters, cruisers or frigates).

Can I get a toggle with that? I’m trying to watch my UI weight. I don’t want to be too heavy on the clutter.

I wondered about doing this, but then in mid battle that means the list will re-sort all the time, which could be horribly annoying.
I think lots of options, to change the size, sort and hide it is the way to go.

Alright, then how about having the white dots that represent ships in the overall map in the corner turn more and more red as they get damaged.

Hmm that’s quite an interesting idea, although red is less visible, I could certainly tint them…

That’s a really good idea. No increase to the amount of UI and a more informative mini-map!

Ok I basically shrunk it, and added an always visible (unless UI is off) toggle button arrow that turns it on and off. Thoughts?

I like. For some of the larger fleets I use it would be nice to have this sort of indication of how things are going without having to try to zip the view all over the place and see who’s on fire. The toggle arrow makes it just about perfect (don’t really need the overview if I only have four ships).

looks great!, good way to see what ships get dammaged in a formation, toggleable/hideable options are always good!

anyways how about maybe possibly show us show us a sneak peek of new expansion in the near foreseeable possible future in this local part of the multiverse ?

please ?

Most excellent )).

Neat.

is a good realtime indicator to see fighter effectiveness.

now, if only they could stay in formation/squadrons when repairing or retreating ;o)

edit: mong spelling