In Democracy 3: Africa, Urbanisation was modelled so aggressively that an Urban Overcrowding situation was buggedly unavoidable without tanking your own GDP. Democracy 4 has no such simulation, though I feel such a thing is central to carbon neutralisation. What follows is a dreamy collection of hypothetical policies centring around deurbanisation, bleeding into libertarian self-ownership rhetoric and solarpunk musings.
I also refer to the hypothetical Distributed Economy situation, which describes a more grassroots, decentralised market with few barriers to entry.
- Urban Greening - The budget for city parks, including street trees, flower plots & window planting. As well as experimental works like green walls and garden roofs. (Small bump to environment and health while combating respiratory disease.)
- Greenbuilding Initiative - A sweeping green architecture construction campaign, creating accommodations for innovative city structure design such as earthscrapers and vertical forest skyscrapers resulting in striking corporate annexes constructed with futuristic green technology and cutting edge energy-efficient technology. (Costly, but combats Urbanization, aids environment and has marginal effects to Tourism, Business Confidence, Energy Efficiency, and Strong Leader. Disincentivises Environmental Protests)
- City Property Tax - A distinct tax on property owned in urbanized areas. (Combats Urbanisation, upsets Capitalists.)
- Compulsory Rainwater Collectors - Requires buildings to possess rainwater recycling systems which clean reclaimed water to a potable standard and reintroduce it for local use. (Operates similarly to Compulsory Water Meters.)
Neo-ruralisation: (These make the Rural Tranquility achievement possible without feudalising your state.)
- Conservation Areas - Legally protects areas of natural beauty from development or deforestation, running them as for-profit national parks. (Aids environment and environmentalists. Upsets Capitalists and to a lesser extent Farmers. Reduces Unemployment while providing a respectable Tourism boost.)
- Indigenous Conservation Areas - (Exclusive to America, Canada & Australia, this policy is identical, with the following addition:) These resort businesses are owned and run by indigenous communities, though they employ liberally. (Makes Ethnic Minorities happy.)
- Agroforestry Organisation - A trade body selling agricultural contracts for forested areas to farming specialists making use of alley cropping, increasing the amount of farmable land and incentivising forest preservation. (Pleases farmers and reduces the cost of Reforestation)
- Rural Homebuying Incentives - Makes home buying cheaper in rural areas, settling more people in the countryside, bringing money and opportunity into the region. (Behaves similarly to rural development grants, while reducing Commuter membership and Urbanisation. ((Tiny contribution to Distributed Economy)))
- Microagriculture Grants - Incentives for rural homeowners to invest in and operate small agricultural businesses on their own land, or in communally owned plots. (Increases Farmers & Self-Employed membership. It increases Self-Employed happiness, but Farmers themselves are indifferent due to mixed feelings. Directly pleases Middle-Earners while contributing to worker’s communes ((and Distributed Economy))) while reducing food cost.)
- 3D Printing Subsidies - Simplifies and cheapens the purchase of 3D printing technology for entrepreneurs and small businesses. (Pleases Socialists, the Self-Employed, and Middle-Earners. Reduces GDP ((but contributes to Distributed Economy which increases GDP))
- Coworking Initiative - Funding for remote office space, allowing businesses to affordably and effectively employ across greater distances. (Reduces Unemployment and Rail/Bus/Car travel while pleasing the Self-Employed and shrinking the Commuter group. Increases Foreign Investment, with a tiny bump to International Trade. Public Libraries reduce the cost of this policy, as they are utilised as part of the initiative. Reduces Contagious Disease Situation)
These neo-farming policies would require Food Standards and Antibody Ban to piss Farmers off worse to make up the difference, and reflect the difficulty for microfarmers to meet standardisation requirements.
Actual Solarpunk Junk
- Hydrogen Fuels Pioneer situation - Clean Fuel and Biofuel funding alongside high science, bus & rail usage have led to the discovery of competative Hydrogen Fuels, revolutionising industry, and enabling market leadership. (Reduces the Environment effects of Car & Air Travel as well as a small amount of the GDP’s negative Environmental effects. Makes Space & Mars Programs slightly cheaper. Adds to GDP.)
- Climate Defence Force - Orders a new support wing of the military devoted to defending against climate events domestic and global. Military engineers aid the construction of externally funded sea walls, flood mitigation systems, and reforestation initiatives, while specialists train for the event of rapid evacuation and restabilization of climate disasters. (Has a marginal Environment effect, but mainly fights hurricanes, wildfires, blackouts, earthquakes, sea-level rise, flooding etc. Increases Foreign Relations. Military Spending reduces its cost.)
To hypothesize ever more fancifully; multiple climate change disaster effects as those combatted by the Climate Defence Force being in effect could contribute to an Emergency Powers level disaster in the Climate Apocalypse situation which can be uniquely fought if your citizens possess their own means to personally and communally feed, power, and manufacture via microagriculture, mandatory microgeneration, and 3D printing.