i am looking to see if there is one because I stink with the grid placement of ships
Sorry to disappoint, but GSB does not have a Scenario Editor.
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ok thanks.
any tips you can give me when it comes to making a scenario?
Firstly, have you checked the Modding 101 Guide yet? There’s a link from there to numerous mission-deployment-editing tips by other players, including useful hard data from cliffski himself. Check it out; go to the first link in this post.
Here’s more data that should help you in setting-up what will be the AI side’s deployment in a modded mission. The method that’s described there is pretty good. Please note that in this linked example, it also speaks in terms of facing your AI-side forces in all sorts of surprising and threatening directions; not just pointed directly towards the left.
Speaking in broad terms, basically it goes like this:
- Make yourself a mission where your deployment field covers the whole screen (again, refer to the Modding 101 Guide).
- Using this mission, you will be able to place the AI ships wherever you want.
- Once you place the AI ships where you want them, you save the mission deployment, quit the game, then open that exact deployment file in a text-editor program.
- Type Ctrl-F to find all instances of “angle=90” and then you need to replace them with “angle=270” instead. This has the effect of flipping all the ships 180 degrees horizontally so that when the scenario is played, those ships are pointing towards the Human player’s fleet.
- Then save the text file, boot up the game, and play-test what you’ve just created.
It’s been quite some time since I’ve last done mission creation, so go slow with my advice and triple-check the results it gives you. Enjoy.