Energy industry

In this post I’m going to suggest some changes to energy related policies that I think need to be made.

Regarding unification of effects

• Clean energy subsidies should boost GDP in the same way oil drilling subsidies and nuclear fission does.
  • Nuclear fission should have a link with the energy industry
  • Nuclear fission could reduce envirommentalism like oil drilling subsidies currently does.
  • Banning coal could reduce the energy industry.

Electricity tax

Before start thinking that I am an idiot for suggesting this, think that nowadays,in lots of countries, renewables subsidies are being paid by aditional charges on the electric bill.
The idea is that some countries opt for charging the cost of energy related policies on top of the electric bill and this policy aims to reflect it.
No self respecting country would impose a tax of say 5.1127% on top of electricity to pay for general expenses, it isn’t like Spain has exactly that.

Renewables

Most countries have aplied subsidies to renewables in order to drive down prizes by developing greater economies of scale and greater funding to R&D, so maybe clean energy subsidies, micro-generation grants and mandatory microgeneration could reduce the cost of the others and themselves over time.

On the relation between renewables and the energy industry I would ask why do mandatory microgeneration and micro-generation grants reduce the energy industry that hard, it would be ok if they reduce it a bit, but the current level could only be justified if we aren’t taking into acount the manufacturing of the generators and, in that case, clean energy subsidies shouldn’t increase that much the energy industry.

New policies

It seems to me that we currently lack some of the most common energy related subsidies there.

• Cogeneration incentives, subsidies to cogeneration or however you want to call them.
  • Subsidies to turning residues into electricity.
  • Subsidies to buy more eficient thermic equipment.
6 Likes

Hmm, will this make the countries a bit harder to be green?

1 Like

Nope, in green countries would happen, by order of mine suggestions:

1. Larger GDP

2. If you consider nuclear as green, larger energy industry.

3. If you consider nuclear as green, less envirommentalism.

4. A smaller energy industry.

5. You are able to charge the energetic transition cost on a syn tax whose earning are not going to be reduced by the transition.

6. Renewables subsidies become cheaper over time.

7. If you assume manufacturing of generators part of the energy industry, a larger energy industry.

8. On the policies that I suggest

• Cogeneration incentives, in theory an in the short term it increases energy efficiency, but in the long term it may decrease it because you are no longer worried about using to much fuel because you are using it to produce electricity with privileges.

• Subsidies to turning residues into electricity, it may seem weird, but knowing that we aren’t able to recicle some plastics makes burning then as fuel a relatively green way of getting rid of them, but with low polution control it can be extremely poluting.

• Subsidies to buy more eficient thermic equipment, pay to increase energy efficiency.

So, all my suggestion would make going green even more easy if not further balance.

1 Like

How’s the progress on these initiatives to overhaul the energy industry with more policies and inputs? Currently some of what you have suggested has already been implemented (such as clean energy subsidies boosting gdp indirectly through boosting the private energy industry).

1 Like

Only the link between energy industry and nuclear fission.
And the clean energy subsidies is wrong, energy industry doesn’t boost GDP, GDP boost the energy industry.

But I am not sure that @cliffski has seen it.

1 Like

Facilitating manufacturing should boost gdp, that wouldn’t be a wrong relation.

1 Like

That is what I have said in my post, I was answering that it wasn’t currently implemented.

1 Like

The energy industry is a constituent of GDP, insofar as many people work in that industry, whether it be privately owned or state owned. I suspect its coded this way because otherwise, privatizing a state energy industry would reduce GDP, whereas in fact it would just convert public spending to private spending, so GDP should not be affected, just the public/private balance of GDP.

1 Like

I was reffering to the first pos in the thread with suggestions regarding the energy industry.

1 Like

I guess that I’m not really understanding the context of the conversation here.

It would be very difficult for me to accept “Nuclear as Green”. It has done far too much harm on Our Planet.

1 Like

I’m not here to try to change everyone’s minds, but nuclear fission is one of the energy sources that emits less CO2eq and, even if it sounds strange , it has caused, by the amount of energy produced, a similar number of deads as solar and wind energy.

3 Likes

Yeah, in terms of total number of human deaths, Nuclear is far better than coal or other fossil fuels.

1 Like

I guess the issue is that when fission fails, it fails spectacularly, while fossil fuel deaths are spread out over time.

1 Like

But only if you do all that you shouldn’t do, ignore that your reactor is being poisoned by xenon and then try to increase the power output by reducing too much the insertion of control rods that were bad desingned and had moderator in their tip.

In other cases like Three Mile Island there was a meltdown in one of the reactor and the containment building keep all the radioactive waste cointained and the only people damaged were the shareholders that lost the asset. Or Fukushima, that may sound weird, but technically, there were no deaths caused by the nuclear plan fail, all deaths were caused by the tsunami, the pain of the forced evacuations and energetic poverty derived from the safety stop of all nuclear plants.

4 Likes

What about deaths from Uranium mining?

1 Like

Are we getting better at handling nuclear energy and materials?

1 Like

Already counted.

1 Like

New desings can shutdown authomatically if mismanaged or overheated, can remove all the remanent heat when full stop, the new nuclear reactor BN-800 (a russian reactor) can use spent fuel as fuel.

2 Likes

Well. That helps me to be a little more accepting of nuclear energy. But I believe We should go as far as We can with Tide, Wind and Solar…and more efficient use of electricity.