Error: "Cannot create a file when that file already exists"

Purchased via Steam recently, OS is Windows 7 64 bit. The error “Cannot create a file when that file already exists” appears instantly when I attempt to launch the game. I’ve verified integrity of game cache via Steam, uninstalled and reinstalled, updated to the latest video drivers, no change. I’ve seen that the game should be saving debug data to a file under My Documents\My Games\Gratuitous Space Battles, but no such folder exists. Any hints on what to try?

Greetings Pastramo and Welcome to the Forums.

I believe that this is a permissions error where the game is being denied the authority to create the file structure it needs to run the game (as you have correctly identified My Documents\My Games\Gratuitous Space Battles)

Does your user profile have administration right for the My Documents Directory and above ?

My login does indeed have Administrator access, but just in case I quit Steam and restarted it in “Run as Administrator” mode, and it made no difference. Frowny face.

Strange . . . The only time I have seen this error was when the game did not have access to the directory.

As a suggestion, check the location where the game is trying to create the Directory
C:\Users<>\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles
Check permissions that you have full access.

Another option might be to create the directory youself and see if that fixes the issue