Like the game. Great concept.
Just a few minor suggestions for the UI though that would make it a more enjoyable experience.
- Lose the giant, 2D cursor. It just screams windows 3.1
- Lose the “scanlines” effect on the background in ship design (the line that constantly moves down the screen like an old monitor with a bad refresh rate). I think I see what you were after but it looks naff and its a bit offputting.
- Try using a quick transition for pop-up text to make it look less harsh, a fraction of a second of fade-in makes a surprising difference
- Rounded corners. All windows, buttons, scrollbars, everything. It just gives a nicer feel to a UI.
- It would help in ship design if you could see more details about the modules at the same time for comparison. I’d suggest replacing the “pool of icons” look with a scrolling stackpanel approach showing the icon, name and maybe the cost/weight/power/crew of each module at all times.
- Any chance of playing it in a window? I use a dual monitor set up with all my chat, browser etc in the second screen. I’ve got used to just switching back and forth a lot. Also, if I minimise the game right now, I cant get it back, it just maximises as a black screen.
Otherwise, I’m loving it so far. Keep up the good work.