Flag tutorial in GIMP

EDIT: Many thanks to Lordarod for noticing that the previous version of this tutorial didn’t use a displace map. That has now been added.

Here’s a step-by-step guide to making a “wavy” flag in GIMP (a freely available photoshop-style programme). It assumes you’ve never used GIMP before and are using the PC-version of Democracy 2. If anybody knows a better way to make flags in GIMP then please let me know!

1. Download the Positech “wavy” flag file HERE

2. Download and install GIMP, a free photoshop-style picture editing programme, available HERE

3. Find the flag you want on Wikipedia (try searching for “flag of X”, where X is
    the country you want). The flags should all be public domain as per Wikipedia’s
    wikicommons policy. Right click on the flag, click “save page as” or
    “save target as” or “save image as” and save it somewhere on your hard-drive.

4. Open up the flag file in GIMP. It may come up with a window saying “Render
    Scalable Vector Graphics.” Set the width to 1024 and the height to 768 (you will have to
    click the little chain icon to release the aspect ratio first). If the window doesn’t
    come up, then click “Image” then “Scale Image” and set the width to 1024 and height
    to 768. Click “Scale.”

5. Open up 1414.psd (the Positech “wavy” flag file) in another GIMP window.
    In that window, click “Select” and then “All.” Then click “Edit” and then “Copy.”

6. Switch to the GIMP window containing your flag. Click “filters” then “map” then “displace.”
    The displace window will pop up. The values of “x displacement” and “y displacement” should
    default to “20.00” but change them both to “10.00.” Both “x displacement” and “y displacement”
    should also be set to 1414.psd. Click “OK” and your flag image will be distorted.

7. Click “Edit” and then “Paste.” The “wavy” flag image will cover your flag image.

8. Click “Layer” then “Transparecy” then “Colour to Alpha.” The default settings should
    be fine so click “OK.”

9. Click “Layer” again, then “Anchor Layer.”

10. There’s your “wavy” flag! It’s too dark at the moment, though. So click “Colours” and
    “Brightness-Contrast.” Play around until it looks good - but I use “60” for brightness
    and “50” for contrast.

11. Time to save your work! Click “File” then “Save As…” The file format used by Democracy 2
    is “flag_X” where “X” is the name of your country. Click “select file type” and chose JPEG.
    You could choose BMP, which is the format the original Democracy 2 flags use, but the file-size
    will be massive. I’d recommend JPEGs: the quality is the same, it’s recognised by Democracy 2
    and the file-size will be tiny compared to a BMP.

12. A window will come up saying JPEG plug-in can’t handle transparency. Click “Export.” It
    will ask you to select the file quality. I always go for 100%. Click “Save.”

EDIT: The displace map bumps up the file-size somewhat, so I would now use a quality
setting of 85% (especially if putting together a lot of flags).

1. Now we’re going to make the thumbnail flag. Click “Image” then “Scale Image.” Make
    sure you click the “chain” icon first to release the aspect ratio, then select width “100”
    and height “100.” Click “Scale.”

2. Click “File” then “Save As…” The file format used for flag thumbnails is “flag_X_s”
    where “X” is the name of your country. Again, when the window comes up, click “Export”
    and set the quality to 100%. (EDIT: Or 85%)

3. One last thing: open up the first flag file you made (the “large” flag file). Click
    “Image” then “Canvas Size.” Make sure you click the little “chain” icon first, and then
    set the height to “1024” so that both the width and height are “1024.” Click “Resize”
    (you may have to click it twice).

4. Click “File” then “Save” then “Export.”

Tada! You now have one flag file and one flag thumbnail file - ready for use in Democracy 2!

I have one thing to add for those of you who are proficient at GIMP and can add in your own scripts.

There is a script plug-in that will generate a random set of “waves” to make your flag wavy. It’s the Satin Plug-in, and it can be found at gimpdome.com/index.php?topic=6525.0 It will make a different background of waves for your flag. Create this as the background layer, and then paste the picture of you flag in the layer above it.

Wow
Really thanks for that info. That’s the greatest plug-in ever!

Third time I posted this :P, might as well…

My Flag for Nationstates 2 :slight_smile: Without Cliffski’s flag waving thing and photoshop, it would never look this good.

Now I just need to figure out how to reduce it’s size to 10 KB :frowning:

EDIT-NVM, got it.

I’m rather partial to this one myself: registry.gimp.org/node/8172 :slight_smile:

In terms of making things like wavy flags, the Satin one is far more useful.

Awesome flag, and great to see a tutorial that doesn’t use photoshop, nice work!

Traslation for Italian user:

REALIZZARE UNA BANDIERA MOSSA

Ecco una guida per realizzare una bandiera ondulata in GIMP, uno stile di Photoshop.
Questa guida presuppone che tu non abbia mai usato lo stile GIMP prima e che tu voglia realizzare la bandiera e la sua icona per Democrazia 2.

1. Scarica la baniera ondulata della Positech al seguente indirizzo: positech.co.uk/democracy2/ho … _files.zip
  2. Scarica ed istalla lo stile GIMP, uno stile per l’editazione delle immagini grauito, disponibile al seguente indirizzo: gimp.org/
  3. Scarica la bandiera dello stato prescelto dalla rete. E’ facile trovarla su Wikipedia.
    Qui, inoltre, la bandiera dovrebbe essere di pubblico dominio, grazie alla politica Wikicommons.
  4. Apri il file della bandiera con GIMP, il programma apena istallato.
    Potrebbe comparire una finestra che dice “Render Scalable Vector Graphics”.
    In tal caso si imposti la larghezza della finestra sui 1.024 pixel e la sua altezza sui 768 pixel.
    Se la finestra non compare, allora basta cliccare su “Image” (= “Immagine”) e poi su “Scale Image” (= “Scala Immagine), impostare i valori detti e cliccare su “Scale” (= “Scala”).
    Si noti che prima di procedere potrebbe esser necessario cliccare sull’icona della catena, che unisce il valore di larghezza ed altezza, per evitare che il rapporto fra le due dimensioni rimanga invariato.
  5. Apri il file 1414.psd (cioé il file con la bandiera ondulata Positech) in un’altra finestra GIMP.
    Si noti che questa immagine é già nella scala giusta, cioé: 1.024 x 768 pixel.
    In questa finestra cliccare su “Select” (= “Seleziona”) e poi su “All” (= “Tutto”).
    Quindi clicca “Edit” (= “Modifica”) e quindi “Copy” (= “Copia”).
  6. Passa ora alla finestra GIMP contenente la tua bandiera e clicca “Edit” (= “Modifica”) e poi “Paste” (= “Incolla”), il che farà sì che l’immagine ondulata copra quella della bandiera.
  7. A questo punto clicca su “Layer” (= “Livello”), poi su “Transparency” (= “Trasparenza”) e quindi su “Colour to Alpha” (= Colore ad Alfa”). A questo punto puoi cliccare su “Ok” (= “Ok”).
    Così facendo si renderà l’ondulazione trasparente e tornerà visibile la bandiera del paese scelto…
  8. Clicca ancora su “Layer” (= “Livello”) e quindi su “Anchor Layer” (= “Ancora Livello”).
    In questo modo si ancorerà l’immagine ondulata trasparente a quella della bandiera del paese.
  9. Abbiamo finalmente ottenuto la nostra bella bandiera ondulata.
    Tuttavia, al momento, é piuttosto scura, perché generata dalla sovraposizione delle due immagini.
    Perciò clicca su “Colours” (= “Colori”) e poi su “Brightness-Contrast” = (“Luminosità-Contrasto”).
    Divertiti ad impostare i valori che preferisci, ma “60” per la luminosità e “50” per il contrasto, sembrano costituire una buona scelta. Quando hai finito clicca su “Ok” = (“Ok”).
  10. Ora puoi chiudere la finestra GIMP che conteneva l’immagine della bandiera Positech.
  11. Bene, ora é ormai il momento di salvare il proprio sudato lavoro.
    Clicca su “File” (= “File”) e poi su “Save as …” (= “Salva come …”).
    Il nome della bandiera dovrà essere “flag_X” dove X é il nome del paese scelto.
    Clicca su “select file type” (= “scegli il tipo di file”) e seleziona JPEG.
    Democrazia 2 supporta sia BMP (che era l’unico formato supportato in origine) che JPEG.
    Tuttavia é meglio usare JPEG visto che la qualità é la stessa, ma occupa meno spazio in memoria.
    A questo punto puoi cliccase su “Ok” (= “Ok”) per far avvenire il salvataggio.
  12. Prima del salvataggio comparirà una finestra che asserisce che il plug-in del JPEG non é in grado di gestire le trasparenze. Nessun problema. Clicca su “Export” (= “Esporta”).
    Ti sarà chiesto di sceglier la qualità del file. Imposta sempre 100 % e clicca su “Salva” (= “Salva”).
  13. Non abbiamo ancora finito, perché dobbiamo fare anche l’icona piccola della bandiera.
    Questa servirà nel menù di scelta delle missioni. Quindi clicca su “Image” (= “Immagine”) e poi su “Scale Image” (= “Scala Immagine), imposta sia larghezza che altezza sui 100 pixel, assicurati che sia disattivata l’opzione di fissaggio del rapporto fra le dimensioni e clicca su “Scale” (= “Scala”).
  14. Clicca su “File” (= “File”) e poi su “Save as …” (= “Salva come …”).
    Il nome della bandiera icona dovrà essere “flag_X_s” dove X é il nome del paese.
    Clicca su “select file type” (= “scegli il tipo di file”) e scegli JPEG. Quindi clicca su “Ok” (= “Ok”)
    Anche qui, quando compare la finestra relativa al plug-in di JPEG che non supporta le trasparenze, clicca su “Export” (= “Esporta”), scegli 100 % per la qualità del file e clicca su “Sava” (= “Salva”).
  15. Ora un ultimo aggiustamento. Apri la prima bandiera che hai realizzato (quella grande).
    Clicca su “Image” (= “Immagine”) e quindi su “Canvas Size” (= “Dimensioni Superficie”).
    Disattiva l’opzione del mantenimento fisso del rapporto fra le dimensioni ed imposta anche l’altezza sui 1024 pixel, in modo che le sue dimensioni finali siano 1024 x 1024 pixel.
    Ora clicca su “Resize” (= “Ridimensiona Immagine”). Potrebbe esser necessario cliccare due volte.
  16. Infine clicca su “File” (= “File”), “Save” (= “Salva”) e quindi su “Export” (= “Esporta”).

Ecco fatto! Ora disponi sia del file della bandiera che del file icona, necessari per Democrazia 2.