Full Version Crash On Load

Having downloaded and tried the demo version (demo 1.32) and thoroughly enjoying it, I purchased the full version (1.35) which crashes each time I attempt to run the program.

Debug information is unhelpful to me:

----DEBUG FILE---- Windows XP detected GSB Debug File. App version Full 1.35 Desktop resolution is 1024 x 768 Initialising Direct3D
…as is the drawdebug:

Initialising 3D Engine Driver : igxprd32.dll Description : Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family DeviceName : \\.\DISPLAY1 About to Create 3D Device with width: 1024 and height : 768
Running XP with Intel video card as above.

Insight is appreciated.

I don’t know if this will be of any help - I had something similar when i installed the game.
To resolve the issue, i had to delete all the old files from the demo and then install the new version.

As a suggestion, have a look for a subdirectory called “Gratuitous Space Battles” located somewhere around
“My Documents\My Games” This directory keeps your ship designs and campain progress.

If you have some ship layouts you want to keep, copy them to somewhere safe and then delete that subdirectory and reinstall GSB.

Yes, I thought of that too. I tried deleting that folder, as well as the root folder in Program Files after running the uninstaller for both programs. I rebooted, did a clean install of the full version and got a crash again.

Somewhere between the 1.32 and 1.35 versions there’s a change that my computer doesn’t like. I’ve already checked my video driver and version of DirectX (both up to date) so there shouldn’t be a conflict there. I’m tempted to search for the 1.32 full version and see if that works. Every time I try to load the program it crashes when initializing Direct 3D.

Update: one quick Google search and a 20 minute download later, and I’m running a cracked 1.32 version without difficulty.

Please Note: I would like to offer an advanced appology if i start to sound like my ISP tier 1 help desk :wink:

Few Questions

• What is your Intel Video Card Make n Model ?
  • When the game crashes, do you get any error message or does it just quit all together ?

Check the prefs.ini file in your my games/gratuitous space battles/ directory to check if the game is trying to running a resolution higher than your card can support. Set the resolution to your screen’s.
I had this problem with the onboard Inter card of my gf’s netbook.

I know what this problem is. It’s fixed in the next patch, but I have a hot fix. I’ll send an email… (it only affects some intel cards)

Patch worked a treat, thanks for the fix Cliff.

For those to whom it means something, the 1.35 version reacts badly with Intel 945G videocards. Cliff has a fix for that, so either email him or wait for the next update, which I assume will include the patch.

Update: crash occurs using Intel patch when choosing to view statistics.
Contents of drawdebug:

Initialising 3D Engine Driver : igxprd32.dll Description : Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family DeviceName : \\.\DISPLAY1 About to Create 3D Device with width: 1024 and height : 768 Attempting software Vertex Processing Checking For Shader Support hal_caps.D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2 is true NumSimultaneousRTs:1 hal_caps.PixelShaderVersion >= D3DPS_VERSION(2, 0) Finished initialising 3D Engine Initialising Render target of 512 X 512 rt_ship rt_ship Initialising Render target of 2048 X 1024 rt_offscreen1 rt_offscreen1 Initialising Render target of 2048 X 1024 rt_offscreen2 rt_offscreen2 Initialising Render target of 2048 X 1024 rt_transition rt_transition titlescreen1024.bmp cwfont20.dds zekton16.dds box_background.jpg textbutton.dds textbutton_h.dds dialog_titlebar.dds menu_backdrop.jpg gui_scrollup.dds gui_scrollup_h.dds gui_scrolldown.dds gui_scrolldown_h.dds scenario_skirmish.dds scenario_survival.dds bg1_icon.jpg achieve_empty.dds achieve_bronze.dds border_depth.dds debris.dds contrails.dds escapepod.dds escapepodengines.dds shield_impact.dds client_interlace.dds dialog_client.dds 19px_highlight.dds 19px_highlight_black.dds smokeclouds.dds runninglight.dds shield_collapse.dds tooltip.dds filterbuttons.dds square_box.dds square_box_h.dds square_box_brown.dds Rebel Valhalla Cruiser.dds Rebel Atlantis Bomber.dds Rebel Asgard Frigate.dds changeracebutton.dds newshipbutton.dds bg1.jpg strip_fill.jpg strip_fill_red.jpg module_locked.dds Alliance Alligator Cruiser.dds Alliance Swordfish Frigate.dds Alliance Cobra Frigate.dds deployment_range.dds fillbar.dds rebel_turret_las_v1.dds module_armour_v2.dds module_engine_5.dds module_crew5.dds module_powergen_v9.dds module_shield_v5.dds module_repair.dds gui_dragbutton.dds gui_sliderbar.dds rebel_turret_miss_v3.dds plasma_turret_v3.dds module_powergen_v7.dds module_crew.dds module_target2.dds module_carrier.dds module_camoflage.dds module_powergen_v8.dds progress_bar.jpg loadscreen_alligator.bmp star.dds beam_red_atlas.dds turrets_rebel.dds lightning.dds repairbots.dds shield_blast.dds shield_scroll.dds shield_blast2.dds circle_shield.dds armourglow.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Rebel Valhalla Cruiser_damaged.dds particles.dds engineglow.dds engine_colors.dds Rebel Valhalla Cruiser_hulk.dds breakup_alpha.dds plasma.dds tractor_beam.dds tractor_beam_alpha.dds beam_green_atlas.dds turrets_alliance.dds alliance_shield.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Alliance Alligator Cruiser_damaged.dds allianceengineglow.dds Alliance Alligator Cruiser_hulk.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds turret_blast_purple.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Alliance Swordfish Frigate_damaged.dds Alliance Swordfish Frigate_hulk.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Alliance Cobra Frigate_damaged.dds Alliance Cobra Frigate_hulk.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds minimap.dds battle_buttons.dds fleet_overlay_icon.dds green_score.dds red_score.dds Failed to create texture: asteroids.dds missile_flare.dds missile.dds bullets.dds target_overlay_line.dds range_marker.dds blastglare.dds shockwave2.dds ecmshock.dds Alliance Hornet Fighter.dds Alliance Python Cruiser.dds Alliance Scorpion Fighter.dds Alliance Shark Cruiser.dds Alliance Wasp Frigate.dds module_powergen_v3.dds rebel_turret_bull_v2.dds module_engine_3.dds button_close.dds button_close_h.dds loadscreen_centurion.bmp Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Rebel Atlantis Bomber_sprite.dds rebel_hulks.dds beam_blue_atlas.dds turret_blast_red.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Alliance Hornet Fighter_sprite.dds alliance_hulks.dds beam_orange_atlas.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Alliance Python Cruiser_damaged.dds Alliance Python Cruiser_hulk.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Alliance Scorpion Fighter_sprite.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Alliance Shark Cruiser_damaged.dds Alliance Shark Cruiser_hulk.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds turret_blast_yellow.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Alliance Wasp Frigate_damaged.dds Alliance Wasp Frigate_hulk.dds Failed to create texture: asteroids.dds textbox_darken.dds tab.dds tab_h.dds tab_selected.dds hex_box.dds rebel_turret_las_v3.dds rebel_turret_las_v2.dds rebel_turret_las_v5.dds rebel_turret_las_v4.dds rebel_turret_bull_v1.dds rebel_turret_auto_v1.dds rebel_turret_miss_v4.dds rebel_turret_miss_v1.dds rebel_turret_miss_v2.dds plasma_turret_v2.dds rebel_turret_pd_v1.dds plasma_turret_v1.dds modebutton.dds modebutton_h.dds statsbutton.dds statsbutton_h.dds ship_slot_line.dds ship_slot_spot.dds module_engine_1.dds module_engine_2.dds module_engine_4.dds module_engine_6.dds module_armour_v1.dds module_shield_light.dds module_shield_v4.dds module_shield_v7.dds module_shield_v6.dds tractor_turret_v1.dds module_pdscanner_v1.dds module_pdscanner_v2.dds module_ecm_v2.dds module_armour_v3.dds module_armour_v4.dds module_armour_v5.dds module_armour_v6.dds rebel_turret_pd_v2.dds module_armour_v7.dds module_shield_multiphasic.dds module_crew2.dds module_crew3.dds module_target1.dds module_crew_reinforced.dds module_crew4.dds module_powergen_v5.dds module_repair_armor_1.dds module_repair_armor_2.dds tractor_turret_v2.dds gui_file_delete.dds gui_file_delete_h.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: asteroids.dds rebel_turret_bull_v3.dds module_armour_v9.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: radiation.dds Failed to create texture: asteroids.dds My guess for the cause is the radiation.dds and/or asteroids.dds