Game crashes on start

I just bought the game from Stardock today. I installed it and as soon as I run it crashes. I’ve tried uninstalling, wiping the my games folder, reinstalling and no luck. It’s running 1.33.

Here is the error log. (See the erro where is say low resolution? That’s just wrong, I’m running at 1200X800. I have a geforce 8800 with core2 quad core, running Windows7)

16/2/2010 - 12::46 - Ship Hull not found ->order_salvation_fighter:…\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 482
16/2/2010 - 12::58 - Ship Hull not found ->order_salvation_fighter:…\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 482
26/2/2010 - 2::30 - WARNING: Desktop Screen Resolution is below 768 pixels
26/2/2010 - 2::30 - D3DERR_INVALIDCALL
26/2/2010 - 2::30 - CreateDevice
26/2/2010 - 2::30 - D3DERR_INVALIDCALL
26/2/2010 - 2::30 - software vertex processing failed
26/2/2010 - 2::30 - Failed to initialise 3D Engine:…\src\Game.cpp 288

depending on how your user permissions are set up, that file may be an old one (from my machine) and not the real one, although the dates do look correct.
The best way to test that is to delete those fiels and re-run the game and check they are created again. The game should try to match your desktop resolution, and it writes the resolution its set up here:
\mydocuments\my games\gratuitous space battles\prefs.ini
What does it say there?

I have this problem too:
“26/2/2010 - 2::30 - Failed to initialise 3D Engine:…\src\Game.cpp 288”

And the pathway that you gave
“\mydocuments\my games\gratuitous space battles\prefs.ini”

does not exist, even as a hidden file, on my machine, can you suggest an alternate way to get to you the error information that you need to help us solve this problem with windows 7 computers. (I have “Ultimate Edition” and a laptop that exceeds the minimum reqs. greatly):
4 Gig ram
512Mb dedicated ATI Modility Radeon HD 4530 graphics card
2.4 GHz cpu (AMD)

help please

That folder should be created when the game first runs, even before any 3d engine stuff. If it isn’t, then something is fundamentally wrong in how its been installed or is allowed to run. I develop on a windows 7 machijne myself, and the game definitely should runw ithout issue on one. Are you the machine administrator? or running as a limited user? where did you install the game? (was it the stardock default?)
Cheers

I am the administrator on my machine, and I am installing it through the stardock/impulse download manager. Also the game registers as being downloaded incorrectly but re-instalation does not make it work.

In what way? Impulse handles the installation in this case, so its possible its some impulse-specific issue, have you checked their tech support?

Yes, last month, They told me to re-install. Then when that did not work, they told me to “contact the third party game producer” for a solution.

here is the debug file:
----DEBUG FILE----
Windows XP detected
GSB Debug File. App version Full 1.33
Desktop resolution is 1600 x 900
Initialising Direct3D

drawDebug:
Initialising 3D Engine
Driver : atiumdag.dll
Description : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 Series
DeviceName : \.\DISPLAY1
About to Create 3D Device with width: 1280 and height : 800
Attempting software Vertex Processing

error:
16/2/2010 - 12::46 - Ship Hull not found ->order_salvation_fighter:…\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 482
16/2/2010 - 12::58 - Ship Hull not found ->order_salvation_fighter:…\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 482
27/2/2010 - 0::37 - D3DERR_INVALIDCALL
27/2/2010 - 0::37 - CreateDevice
27/2/2010 - 0::37 - software vertex processing failed
27/2/2010 - 0::37 - Failed to initialise 3D Engine:…\src\Game.cpp 288
27/2/2010 - 0::37 - CreateDevice
27/2/2010 - 0::37 - software vertex processing failed
27/2/2010 - 0::38 - Failed to initialise 3D Engine:…\src\Game.cpp 288
27/2/2010 - 1::30 - D3DERR_INVALIDCALL
27/2/2010 - 1::30 - CreateDevice
27/2/2010 - 1::30 - D3DERR_INVALIDCALL
27/2/2010 - 1::30 - software vertex processing failed
27/2/2010 - 1::30 - Failed to initialise 3D Engine:…\src\Game.cpp 288

Hmm, that looks like a driver bug, but I still am not sure about the ‘downloaded incorrectly’ problem. This is handled by impulse, so it literally cannot be a non-impulkse thing. If you download and run the demo of the game from my site does that run ok? it’s the same graphics engine.

no, it doesn’t run either

This is definitely a driver issue in that case, or the card is missing the ability to run the game for some reason, I’m not familiar with how fast or well-specced that card is.

I tried re-installing the hardware driver and it still is not working, could the problem be related to my computer being a 64 bit machine or that it is a freshly manufactured HP Pavilion?

64 bit is definitely not a problem, as the game is develoepd on a windows 7 64 bit machine, and tested on it extensively. This is very likely video drivers. Laptop video drivers are often a bit of an unknown quantity, sometiems they have machine-specific flavours of the main universal drivers, and its not so easy to ensure you have the latest ones.

could it be Direct X related?

Is there any advice that you can give me to solve this problem?

I’m assuming you have the newest possible drivers for your machine? Are other directx games working ok? Did you try the demo for GSB, and did that run?
It looks strongly like a driver bug right now. Have you tried running the game in windowed mode?
You can do this by editing:

/mydocuments/my games/gratuitous space battles/prefs.ini

Well, you may have directX related problems. You are running a W7 system, so you should have DirectX 11 installed. You can check this by typing dxdiag into cmd. You may want to check this link:

microsoft.com/directx

I’m not sure why, but although I installed W7 there where still DirectX files missing which I had to install manually…

The drivers are the newest possible, and I did have some trouble with a different game needing a command line that was omitted in the latest Direct X 11 program, Microsoft released a patch to solve that problem. Also the game does work in windowed mode, and the demo did not run when I downloaded it.

if the game works in windowed but not fullscreen mode, thats definitely a driver/directx issue.