Game doesn't run on memory key

See subject. The game doesn’t run and gives the following error:

This application has failed to start because d3dx9_41.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Is there a way to run this game on a memory key?

You may be able to simply copy the d3dx9_41.dll file over to your drive, but I doubt that is the only file that it requires. I may try to find a way to get this to run off of a flash drive this winter since it would be quite nice to be able to play while between classes at school. From what little research I’ve done it looks like it will take a shell program that will redirect GSBs requests away from their normal places on the computer to certain places on the flash drive.

Here’s a good place to get started if anyone is interested in trying to get this to work… portableapps.com/development/beginner_packaging . They will tell you how to start, and looking at their programs you can get a feel for the code. They’ve also got a good forum for any questions.

Yeah, this isn’t a problem with running the game off a usb stick… This is a problem with running the game on a PC that doesn’t have a recent version of DirectX installed :slight_smile:

I was afraid of that… Ah well.

You might be able to get it to run by putting the dll it asks for (get it from a pc that the game actually runs on) into the game directory on the usb stick.

If the system admin doesn’t mind you playing stuff like this now and again, you could ask them if they could update directx on the machine…