Game freezes at main menu on launch. No errors.txt made

I installed the new patch. Now the game freezes up a second after launch, forcing me to use the task manager to end the game. I’m using Windows 7, and I think that the issue has to do with my registration code. (After I enter it with a new save folder, the issue returns, I think.) Also, if I am able to press a button before the game freezes, the game works fine.

if you rename these files:

\my documents\my games\gratuitous space battles\web\gsbcd
\my documents\my games\gratuitous space battles\web\gsbcu

Does it work then? (you won’t have an on-line account setup until you put those files back).
If so, it sounds like the multi-threading of the message checking is screwing up. The game is checking for messages for you. it used to do that before, but not asynchronously. So either your firewall is blocking it (or some other similar phenomena) or there is a multi-threading issue. Does that shine any light on it? Did the game work fine in version 1.28?

Renaming the files did the trick, sadly.

Windows Firewall never actually blocked GSB in the first place, so my money is on multi-threading. Does that mean that I can’t play challenges or something?

does the game now work ok if you enter your serial and username again? I’d be very surprised if it was the multi-threading on the whole, because the downloading of challenges has been multi threaded for months. It may just be some glitch at that time.
The only thing that changed was the very start-up check where the game checked the new messages, which now works just like the refreshing of challenges.

Yes, but if I get a new message, the problem returns. (Tested and confirmed this.)

I also have this same problem. My laptop running XP works just fine but my family computer running Vista (yes, I know) cannot run the game since it freezes upon launch. Both computers use the same internet connection and firewalls.

could either of you try this:

In your patches folder you should still have the 1.28 patch. If you run that, does the game then work? (It should work ok to downgrade it like that).
If so, i need to check out how that change can have caused this, and sort it…

OK, regressed to update 1.28 and now it works just fine :slight_smile:

Just adding my $.02… I’m getting this as well on both my computers. Both are Vista systems. My laptop has the issue no matter where I connect from. The app does a hard lock, like there’s a blocking call to something that it’s waiting on. This happens after the title screen paints, and the menu buttons appear, but just before the message envelope appears. I have to use task manager to kill the process. If I keep trying, eventually it works.

Next time I start the game, I’ll regress the patch.

can anyone who can still reproduce this send me their debug files (in \program files\gratuitous space battles\debugdata) from right after having run the program and it freezing.
Cheers (cliff@positech.co.uk)

Actually, if any of you email me your serial code, I can get you a patch that should fix this, and that way I’ll know it’s really fixed for the next release…

I’m at work, and they frown on popping out the laptop and playing games when we should be programming. It’l have to wait until the boss goes in to a meeting. =D I’ll see if I can get it at lunch…

I’ve sent the error files, along with my serial code.

Sent.