So, here’s my dilemma: I suck. No, really, I seem to be shooting in the dark (no pun intended). Despite my best efforts, I can’t get beyond 20k in survival, even having read about ship designs that other players have used to get over 150k. What’s the trick?
Here’s what I’ve found:
- The best defense against fighters is some decent armor and a repair system. It’s going to take a long time to kill the fighters no matter what you do, so you have to make sure you can stay alive long enough to do it.
- No amount of shields and armor will save you from heavy plasma. You either need to be moving fast enough to avoid it or kill that ship before it kills you.
- Fast fighters are hard to hit. REALLY hard to hit. Your best chance is a heavily-armored cruiser with cruiser defense lasers and tractor beams. They won’t die quickly, but they will die.
- The fastest way to take down an enemy cruiser is with fast fighters with laser cannons ordered to minimum range. The only problem is, even the fast ones seem to die quickly.
- A slow fighter is a dead fighter. Torpedo bombing and especially target painters will just get you killed.
- Taking down the enemy’s shields is 80% of the battle. Once shields are down, ships seem to die quickly. A heavily-shielded ship can be VERY difficult to take down because most weapons will just reflect. Your ships need at least a few weapons with high shield penetration or at least some kind of ECM to drop their shields.
- Is there even a use for frigates? I can’t seem to make them fast enough to avoid heavy weapons, strong enough to live through them, or powerful enough to make a dent in the enemy.
- Missiles are great (with 1.12), but only if the enemy doesn’t have point defense. If they do, don’t even bother.
Any other pearls of wisdom people can add, or any axioms I’ve made here that you disagree with? I’d really like to start challenging the high scores on survival, but so far I’m not even up to par.