Girbraltar Situation

I think it is rightfully so that the Gibraltar should be represented as a U.K. situation because

A. It should hold some precedent for “The Rock” to hold some military strategic value

B.Tourism is also a significant industry. Gibraltar is a popular port for cruise ships and attracts day visitors from resorts in Spain. The Rock is a popular tourist attraction, particularly among British tourists and residents in the southern coast of Spain.

C. Foreign relation perhaps because of it’s strategic position

1 Like

Could also be a situation for Spain.

Well Gibraltar is owned by the U.K though, even uses the pound.

Yes, but the existence of Gibraltar affects Spain a lot more than it affects the UK. To the UK, Gibraltar’s some colony of 30k people far away that it otherwise doesn’t care about. To Spain, it’s a part of its rightful country owned & colonized by a foreign power that’s exploited as a tax haven depriving it of revenue - not to mention the insult of not having control over it.

For context: Inicio this link is from a Spanish source regarding a diplomatic incident in 2013

Ah I see, but what would be the effect of Gibraltar for Spain?

1 Like

Its a good point. The UK could actually have foreign affairs crisis affecting gibraltar and also the falkland islands. Maybe we need a UK-specific ‘spain seizes gibraltar’ event for if military spending is really low and foreign relations are really low?

One of the hardest thing in Democracy 4 is ensuring that it makes political sense to spend anything at all on the military, because generally speaking if you reduce patriotism enough, you can then gut the military and save a fortune, with no repercussions :smiley:

In open debate, nobody would seriously suggest that the only thing stopping Spain from seizing the rock would be UK military power…but it has to have some impact right?

As a UK mainlander, I can attest that nobody I know cares one bit about the rock, and we mostly only care about the falklands because we hate the thought of losing a war :smiley:

4 Likes