Gratuitous Land Battles

Just placing an idea out there for Positech Games about maybe doing a Gratuitous Land Battles game. Would anyone be interested in that as I would. Could be a 2D/3D game with the same concept. Infantry taking over fighters roll, tanks taking over frigate roll and Mechs taking over the curiser roll. Splash in pretty graphics, destructible defenses and I think you would have another hit :slight_smile:

Re-live Hoth and other greats!!

Honestly i kinda think that Tower Defense games fill this niche. GLB would have to be something REALLY specialā€¦
although mix it with the campaign and you have something interesting (ie, kill the fleet in orbit then land your troop carriersā€¦ invade enemy space stations to capture themā€¦)

Oh baby, that would be cool.

Iā€™m thinking Epic scale battles would be better than each and every infantry squad. But to do this right youā€™d need a bunch of ā€œCapture thisā€¦ā€, ā€œDestroy thatā€¦ā€, ā€œProtect theā€¦ā€ and ā€œHold this groundā€¦ā€ type missions in addition to the elimination game we play now.

Also we donā€™t have the cargo ships in this game big enough to haul all the equipment, but that could be added :).

That would probably be a nightmare to add to the code, though :confused:

I have a bunch of ideas that could make GLB very special and I think many fans probably would too :slight_smile: I do not imagine it anything like a tower defense game. Basically have a set amount of points and two armies clash together. There would have to be some adjustments to the commands or orders that are set for the ground troops.

I would love to see a space boarding aspect of the GSB game!

Honestly i think thatā€™s how weā€™d end up seeing it.
Maybe for the campaign v3.2?

Well, you could allso put units up like this: fighters are small squads then, frigates slightly bigger ones and cruisers large ones, it doesnā€™t really matter what time of unit it is yet, itā€™s just a size standard.
So you could do with different squads, you could put a large squad of fighters in the battle by
spending a cruiser ammound of points on them spend a smaller ammound and you could choose between something like a frigate size squad etc.
What types of units aught to be in the game well, I think it should be race dependent.

Iā€™d immagine they all have an equivalent of a tank/walkers and infantry unit/squad an artillery unit. a heavy weapons platform,
perhaps you could give em spy planes to scout out and give better aferages to the unitā€™s fighting in the range of those scout unitā€™s.
Anyways, then thereā€™s anti air unitā€™s in the form of air to air and ground to air and then there should allso be air to groundā€¦

Now to put that into form, we could pick either a uniform means of drawing units, or theyā€™d have to make a unique unit style every time roundā€¦
Allso, squadrons would have to have different specs, per race, like the ships haveā€¦thatā€™d be great.

How about bases/ cities/ defence installations? Think about it, would there be bases on the map, or behind it like: ā€˜loose this battle and this and this factory will be lostā€™/ loose hitpoints.

What would the Trade Federation unitā€™s look like? (very hardy?)
-blue? with the usual robust appearence?
What would the Rebels unitā€™s look like?
-gray, axe swinging units? infantry with axes?
-tanks that have a heavy metal like look?
What would the Alliance units look like?

• Iā€™d say walking tanks and with spikes all around,
  • lots of 8 legged infantry units.
    What would the Empire unitā€™s look like?
    -cyborg like, with lotā€™s of shields am I right?
    What would the Order unitā€™s look like?
  • heavy red shield pieces, nice red flags,
    What would the Tribe units look like?
  • tanks that look like snails, dragging themselves over the map,
    slow, like snails do?
  • infantry units that look like snailsā€¦
    What would the Nomad units look like?
    -Bigger tanks, bigger squads bigger everything?
    What would the pirates look like!?
    -spider like units? with lotā€™s of web shooting weapons?
    Black of colour?
    Whatā€™s your imtake ont this readers?

But perhaps Iā€™m making it too difficult, perhaps there should just be a two sided version of space invaders! (in addition to a gratuitous land battles game?)

With pre deployed defence towers, fighter squadrons, fighter hangar bases, floating hangar platforms and satalites?

Ah, lets just leave this one to Clifsky

Hey I havenā€™t been on in a long time but I am super happy to see that Cliff is doing Gratuitous Tank Battles which is what was suggested with my Gratuitous Land Battles idea!! Canā€™t wait until it is done!