GSB: Galactic Conquest now in beta

Will the beta you’re selling work with the impulse version of GSB?

It should work fine, it you tell the installer where the main game is installed, and if the main game is version 1.48 or later.

ok I didn’t find anything but is it possible to cancel the move command??..

and do you planning to add random events local for player and galaxy wide???

After playing Galactic Conquest glitches aside I love the game.
I have only minor complaints/ wish list about it. I’m only voicing them in hopes they would either improve the game, or add food for thought for the next game Cliffski does.
Once again i want to stress I love the campaign.

1st I wish every planet could build ships to some degree. Especially when the A.I. can hit you from any planet. The few planets that can build ships while they are vitally important, are extremely few and make reinforcing very hard, especially when I tend to suffer from frequent drastic losses because I am no Horatio Nelson it seems. At least give me fighters or frigate production from most planets, cruiser capable planets should be few, but it takes so long to make reinforcements and get them to the front lines.

2nd. The A.I. Can hit you from any planet, whether there is a shipyard or not. EX: I have surrounded a planet with no production facilities and attack, I lose against their two defending cruisers, the next round that planet attacks me with 4 cruisers! I find this frustrating because I feel like the computer is not on equal footing/shipyard handicap with me.

3rd The A.I. is not persistent. The campaign feels more like a random encounter conquest rather then your empire vs every one else’s empires. So it feels like I’ve won a lot of territory but I don’t have the satisfaction that comes with ousting the evil; Empire, Rebels, Swarm, Alliance ect. There’s no capitol planet to conquer, there’s no patch of planets that one race owns that I can tell. I conquer one tribe planet, the next belongs to the nomads. Its all random, I wish the territory battle played out more like risk, rather than randomly controlled planets. EX: One round I’m getting attacked by the order, the next it’s the empire attacking from the same planet, and I own all the territory around that planet. How did that Happen?

4th I wish I could edit a specific ship design in the ship builder menu by right clicking on it, and going into the editor for that specific ship, rather than having to go into the editor and sift through all my designs for every race. I also wish that when designing a ship in the campaign, I wish the editor would filter out all the other races I’m not playing as in that particular campaign. (I would be happy with just a race filter in the editor as a standard)

5th I wish there were race banter going on, Like feds taunting/insulting Rebels when one invades the other. I wish the A.I. would taunt you when it’s about to invade, or loses a territory to you ect. I feel the Galactic conquest suffers partially that the Races have no real character beyond ship designs, in that it’s all anonymous forces swinging at each other. When a battle starts I want the satisfaction that I’m going kick that cocky A.I. SOB in the gonads, or be so steaming mad when I lose that I am already plotting my revenge. I wish the game made me more emotionally involved, and I think it is a result of a lack of characters/personality that I am fighting against. OR… even cooler let the player designed fleets have their own player created taunts that can be read at the outset of each battle.

6th I wish for secondary orders when the formation command breaks. EX; when you cant follow this ship any more MOVE LIKE THERE’S NO TOMORROW!

Once again I love the game, and I love the campaign. I hope my wish list helps with the beta’s development, or at least is food for thought. And I can’t wait till the Campaign is finished so I play through as every race.
Lastly thank you Cliffski for such a great game, and I hope to see it get even better.

Hi there,

liking the campaign game in general. Makes the game ‘not-quite’ gratuitous space battles’ :slight_smile: . Some feedback and questions mixed together:

1 cancel move option?
2 clearer icons for special/anomaly worlds
3 what does threat level signify?
4 scouting seems like a good thing to do (i currently send one fighter across to see the enemy forces then retreat it), that way I don’t risk a fleet till I know what to expect. This seems sensible but kinda cheap :slight_smile: … it’s too risky sending the mega fleet in there without knowing what you are going to encounter. Is there a way therefore, to prevent the need to do this?
5 enemy attacks don’t seem linked to what strength is present at the planet the attack is meant to have come from
6 Do enemy planets upgrade their forces with time?
7 Do I need to play the regular GSB to unlock tech? Perhaps campaign tech should be separate?

Are the Hitpoints from fleets used for scaling the AI-Fleets?

Hope not so because i would harm myself designing especially cheap ships!

Due to my hospital visits, I have been slow to test out 1.50 version of the campaign. I thought since fighter spam was the reason for adding pilots I would test a fighter spam fleet and see how it faired. I quickly realized that I would not be able to run the classic Ikohime Fighter spam fleet, so I switched to my “21 squad” fighter spam. It works perfectly. It is not limited by the new system at all. It actually may be enhanced because now I have unlimited money.

I’m tired and I hurt, so I’m going to run some Veil Nebula while I heal.

I bought the Galactic Conquest for the GSB and installed it to my Steam account no problem on the 12th November.

I’m wondering normally on Steam when an update comes out it downloads and installs automatically.
As I say I bought the GC on the 12th has there been any updates and how do I get them and download them?

Ramcat, I have it out and honstly, if you run the 21 squad’s for the first 5-10 worlds, then merge them together you get my classic swarm with HUGE results :stuck_out_tongue:

Pilots are an awesome mechanic, but not at all stopping the fighter swarms

It’s been nearly a month… any word yet on when Red Marble Games will be porting a Mac version? I’ve been waiting for this expansion for a long time. It looks fantastic!

For whatever reason your installer did not install my game correctly. I installed it to several places unsuccessfully (including the correct Steam folder) and eventually gave up… so I just copied all of the files over wholesale from a different place and it worked fine. :stuck_out_tongue:

_>
Honestly it was probably my comp more than your installer, I have a serious “tech hates me” problem. sigh Either way, I have it working now and it looks great! Woo!

Well, it did look great. Now the background for the Campaign has disappeared and I don’t know how to get it back! :0

I didn’t change any of the files, although the game did crash once. Any Ideas on how to get it back?

Hi, I think this is the problem:

The patch installer checks if certain files exist. If they do, it writes an uopdated file. if they don’t, it doesn’t bother. it does this with a vital file called campaign.txt.
That file recently changed, and if your version didn’t get updated, the new exe will expect a line that isn’t there, so you get a blank background.
Soo…
if you re-run the 1.50 patch, into the correct folder (ensure it doesn’t add an extra ‘gratuitous space battles’ on the end of the path), then it will update /campaign/data/campaign.txt and it should be fine.

uhhh… right… run the… patch >_>

How do I do that? Is it on the site or do I access it from the game itself or what?

(Edit: I’ve noticed something else, it might be related to the problem. When I go into the skirmish missions they’ve all reset. I still have all my unlocked things and whatnot but the skirmish missions have reset and I can re-do them for the same honor I got the first time around.)

if you have run the patch before it is in /my documents/my games/gratuitous space battles/patches

I’ve the same problem with a white background for the campaign map which makes the planet names hard to read.

My problem now is I’ve gone the the Documents folder like you suggest but I have only 1.49 and 1.51…how do I get 1.50 to correct this?

they are cumulative, just run 1.51. make sure you point it at the right place

I have no patches. I checked around in some of the other folders in case it was misplaced or something but I was not able to find any.

Sorted thanks cliffski.

Originally that patch had added and extra GSB folder which had been my problem so once I’d put it in the right place all was well.
As I loaded the game patch 1.52 came in and I now have the proper background again for the GC thanks.

Victory! I managed to convince Steam to reinstall the update… then 1.52 came out immediately after. v_v

Regardless it’s all fixed up now, thanks for the patches help Cliffski. To battle!

I understand the how & why explanation as to why one must be online for this expansion; but I have a “peasant connection” (commonly referred to as dial-up) sooo…

Will I need to be online continually when I play a campaign? Only when I visit a “new” occupied planet (and instigate a battle)? Or only once when I start a new campaign?

I suppose I could only play the game late at night when I’m assured not to get incoming calls (not like I’ve never done THAT!) but sleep is kind of essential.