GSB: Galactic Conquest now in beta

It’s not a constant thing, only when the game needs a new fleet. Only when you see that ‘please wait’ dialog, basically. (Possibly a few places without it).

So I have the Mac version from Red Marble and I was thoroughly enjoying the Campaign mode, but now, all of a sudden, I’m having the white background glitch. I see that people who have patched to 1.52 have had this fixed, but the Mac version I have is only 1.50 and won’t auto-update. Any way I can force the update? Or is this an issue with Red Marble? Because this ugly white background on the campaign map makes it completely unplayable.

…I may have answered my own question. Red Marble’s website says that the “current Mac version” is 1.50.0. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes them to port the patches? Because now that the white background totally obscures the campaign map, I’m not happy.

I am playing 1.53 on a PC, and the white background persists. It does not, however, make the game unplayable.

I do get frequent crashes after battles, sometimes the accounting program goes berserk and I get gibberish instead of cash and maintenance (which the computer reads as zero, which makes it impossible to build any more units), and I also have a temporary recurring problem where I capture a ship and my maintenance costs double (or worse), leaving me with no spare cash (even after I scrap the ship I just captured), but other than that it’s a fun beta version.

version 1.54 is released today and that should fix the white background problem. basically campaign.txt gets corrupted. if you let the game patch, then re-install galactic conquest (if you have this bug) it will be fine.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I installed the patch and uninstalled and reinstalled the campaign game, and am still getting the white screen. If there are any error or debug folders that you would like to see, just let me know.

if you check the file
\program files\gratuitous space battles\campaign\data\campaign.txt does it have a line in the config section stating what image to use for the backdrop?

In the config section of that file there is a line that says MapTexture = “campaign_map.jpg”, but nothing about a backdrop.

I that is present, and the game is definitely version 1.54, and it is still white, please email the debug files from \my documents\my games\gratuitous space battles to cliff@positech.co.uk

Will the Steam release be priced the same as a direct purchase? It will be more convenient for me via Steam, but I don’t want to pay extra if it will only go towards their cut and none gets to you.

When you do a patch, could you please post here what it is supposed to be correcting and the changes that have been made? As problems have been noted, it would help to know if they have been addressed.

You haven’t visited the Support forum, then. It sounds like what you’re requesting is already long since being taken care of. Please review the Bugfix and development feature list (changelog) and the Current Known Bugs worklist threads regularly for updates from Cliffski. The former contains a listing in the thread’s first post which details precisely what game changes exist in every single patch to date; he clearly indicates which changes affect GSB and which changes affect Galactic Conquest instead. The latter is more of a “to do” list, in which Cliffski checks-off items as they’re addressed.

The thread you mentioned does not do what I asked for. For one thing, Cliff doesn’t pro-actively say what he is doing with patches. And for another, since he doesn’t do that, the comments and responses are nothing more than and ad hoc collection of comments about specific problems.

Since I am still experiencing significant failures of the campaign at all levels, including something as basic as the background “texture”, it doesn’t seem unreasonable that I would be requesting additional information.

Thanks for clarifying, Entropy; I concede your point. Best of luck with obtaining that info from Cliff within the timeframe that you specified.

Well, it may not happen, but a guy can hope, can’t he? As it is, a patch shows up and I download and install it, with no idea what it’s trying to do. A few patches ago, that caused a bit of consternation among the install base (not me, I’m more philosophical), when all of a sudden fighters started retreating without “cautious” orders. All I’m suggesting is that a “heads up” message might be in order. This would seem to be the best thread for that, but if one of the threads in Support would be better, I’m fine with that.

My first two starts of Galactic Conquest…

I’m using the Federation Fleet that I got through all the single player scenarios and just got my but handed to me for the last two hours (confused now). I’m a newbie but my first impression was mixed.

Things I love…

-That I can change ship names and
-That my fleet deployments are saved.

Things I don’t love

-Not starting with any resources. I think you should start off with enough money for 2 to 3 frigates and a Cruiser. Otherwise it’s a grind in the beginning.
-No Save / Restore after battles. Maybe it’s cheating but when you lose two hours of resources it’s very frustrating.
-Don’t understand why I’m so underpowered. Can the systems progressively get more difficult or adapt to my tech level?

Overall I’m very excited about the campaign expansion, I’m just not sure how to stay on the rails. Going to go back and try it on Cadet (as pathetic as that is).

-Alien

At Cadet level, you start with 16K in cash. At Captain level, 10K. At Admiral level, 5K. Even at the hardest level, that’s basically enough for 2 frigates and a cruiser, as long as you don’t want heated bucket seats and the underbody coating with that. In addition, fighters are an important part of the mix early in the game.

Having said that, my own experience with the campaign has changed radically sometime in the last couple of updates, in that the game has gotten much harder. Where I used to be able to win most of the time at the Admiral level, now I’m getting crushed like a bug on a windshield.

Maybe I’ve just had a stroke and don’t remember how to play good. Or, something has changed. In any case, don’t get discouraged. Your mileage may vary.

There are currently some extra maps being made for the campaign. when they are done and ready for release, I’m going to consider changing the campaign so the starting values are noticeably higher, so you can start off with bigger initial fleets.

Not to be a pest, but any progress/ETA on those new campaign maps?

TAZ

LOL, just saw your post about testers in a another thread. Good to hear.

hey cliff, will we be able to mod in new maps of our own and have very good control over starting resources, planet coordinates, spatial anomalies, and wormholes?