[Guide] GSB_1_ "Modding 101" Guide

Thank you, reading :smiley:

Here’s some details on Radiation

payload = “RADIATION”/warhead = RADIATION
radiation_damage = 6
radiation_decay = 0.91
total_damage = 57
damage_duration = 4200

NOTE total_damage is only a display variable and does not affect actual damage.

Use payload = “RADIATION” for bullet type weapons
Use warhead = RADIATION for missile type weapons

Damage is calculated using
radiation_damage = base damage per tick
radiation_decay = multiplier on each tick
damage_duration = Total amount of time radiation last

Damage ticks once every 200 time interval, so with 4200 duration, the rad gun ticks 21 times.

Damage is radiation_damage on the first tick. For all following ticks, radiation_decay is multiplied into the damage dealt on the previous tick.

so to solve this

6*(0.91)^0 + 6*(0.91)^1 + 6*(0.91)^2 +6*(0.91)^3 + … 6*(0.91)^20 = 57

Damage from each radiation shot is calculated separately. This means that radiation damage stacks additively when hit by multiple shots.

and here’s the equation

Thank you, 123stw. Insightful analysis of a previously cryptic and badly misunderstood set of weaponry, as this confusion-filled thread proves. Rad-happy modders will be pleased to see such a helpful and clearly-written tutorial!

Fron here: - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4395&p=26465#p26402

Humm I didn’t know about the < 1 part. I don’t have that information when I solve for the equation.

At least the single equation is easier to understand for those knows how to work with sigma.

I guess one way you could test it with a weapon that has a rad damage of 1 and a decay rate like 0.9999 over a long duration say 20000
Based on the formula the damage will be 100
However if cliffski cutoff is there, then the damage should be 1

I just meant that I didn’t know of the post you linked prior to now.

I haven’t tested the below 1 damage thing.

Ah - yeah cliff posted it up around the same time that the Order were being released.

Also if you do a search for radiation you will come across it

Were is the blast size value?, i can swear that i saw it! D:

is there a info file somewhere about engineglows? i get most of it, but there are some values that i dont know what they do!

i couldnt find anything on the forums…

That would indeed be helpful. A few months into the game, Cliffski changed the way that engineglows work, which resulted in a total overhaul of how that part of the code looks in a ship’s text file. It looks a lot more complex than it used to be. An expanded tutorial of what each set of engineglow code parameters controls would be nice.

Let me check what I’ve got about them…

engineglow.dds must be inside the \bitmaps\fx folder

engine_debris is a txt file found inside the particleconfigs folder (you can put the folder for that inside your own mod folder). I still haven’t messed enough with particles to know how they work.

Code sample:

0 = 75.5,252,18,45,engineglow.dds,engine_debris,0,1.00 0 = 187.00,259.50,22.35,23.79,order_engineglow.dds,engine_debris_order,0,1.00

Damn, now I see that I still haven’t messed around with all the parameters of that line of code. The last two numbers are the same for all the engine glows used in all the races so I can’t know what they do without proper testing.

yep, those last two were the ones i didnt know about…

as i did some engine tuning, i thought i could test out those last two paramaters

turns out that the “0” means that it will use a particle effect. any higher number turns off the particle effect.

the “1.00” is how fast the particle effect animates. if i put 0.50 it animates twice as fast and if i put 2.00 it animates two times slower.

hope this makes sense :confused:

As we know, a tractor beam adds a designated weight to the ship. Simple question: What happens if the tractor beam removes weight? i mean, negative weight addition.

Praetors, it’s fine folks like you who keep the Gratuitous Modding forum a busy, busy place. :wink:

Hehehe thanks? ^^

Why the question? Cuz i have evil plans for tractor beams, now, thinking about it, why i asked that if i can make the test by myself? lol, fail.

I would be interested in your results.
I tried a negative weight tractor beam a long time ago but i could not get it to work.

Well I do remember that if you give limpets a REALLY big number, then you can make the fighter fly in the opposite direction and off the screen.

Fighter repellant ?
Interesting . . . .