[Guide] GSB_1_ "Modding 101" Guide

Yes yes, but it does not tell a modder how to set up the turret mapping file with the images itself. I bet you that with a few of my mods, the off center issue of the turrets is not because of misaligned hardpoints in the hull.txt file but misaligned turret graphics. What I am asking is simply how much room can you use in the turret mapping file for each of the turrets? Also Can the turret mapping file be larger than 512 by 512, but yet only contain 32 turrets?

The question so nice, I asked it twice.

Okay, I really need to know why my hulks aren’t appearing in-game, and I know that it has to do with this part of the hull file, so is there somebody who could help me out? I know the coordinates given in the [hulk] section aren’t sized to a 256 sprite like everything else, because several of the vanilla ships have numbers larger than 256. In fact, it looks like they’re mapped to a 512 sprite (specifically, the 512 sprite for each ship’s hulk). So is it a direct mapping to whatever size the hulk sprite is, or to a 512, or to what? Somebody help me here.

On another note, does anyone know if you can shut off debris and/or escape pods for one specific race? I know you can shut both items off in the graphics options, but what I’m really looking for is the ability for a race to just not generate them. Don’t know if you can do it, but if anyone has tried, I’d like to hear about it.

I see what your getting at.

How Much room do you have per Turret in the Turret Mapping DDS File

The Turret Mapping DDS file is broken up into an 8 x 8 grid. No matter how big the file is it will ONLY EVER be broken into an 8 x 8 grid.
Therefore if you have a:

• 512x512 dds file, each turret must be contained within a space of 64x64.
  • 1024 x 1024 dds file, each turret must be contained within a space of 128x128.

Now at this point it is rather useful for your graphics editor to have a grid overlay and a snap to grid function as it makes it very easy to ensure that your turrets sit in neat little rows.

When you create your grid overlay, have the lines every 32 pixles. This way in a 512x512 image (as an example) the area for one turret will have a horizontal and vertical center line as well as a border to help with placement

<>

Yep that hit it on the nail, Thank you for that. SO it is possible to have larger than 512 by 512 you will just have to adjust the turrets to match.

Correct - For the Community Mod, i have been forced to use a 2048x2048 sized dds file for the Leviathan Turrets.
This gives each turret an area of 256x256 - I needed this amount of area for the higher detail level on the turret to give the impression it is a BIG turret.

As a guide i use the following rule

Turret sizes 0 - 15 - 512x512
Turret sizes 15 - 40 - 1024x1024
Turret sizes +40 - 2048x2048

In all cases, I will avoid use a larger dds wherever possible. Only when the detail level is warrented i will use the larger size.

I made a grid overlay for a 512 by 512 turret mapping, It has both the outside 64 by 64 box as with the cross to help find center.

ECM Payload
classname = “SIM_ECMBeamModule”

ecmpayload = "RETURNTOSENDER"

What it does:
By adding this new ECM payload into your missile scrambler code it will scramble the missiles guidance system so badly that the missile will try and hit the ship that fired it.

Hints and tips.
while a missiles that has been affected by the RETURNTOSENDER can not be turned around again. It still can be shot down by.

• Guidance Scrambler
  • Anti Missile Point Defence.

Plasma Burst.
classname = “SIM_PlasmaLauncherModule”

maxsimultaneous = 4

What it does:
This new addition enables your plasma weapons to have up to a maximum of 4 flaming plasma spheres of death flying across the screen at any one time.

Hints and tips.
Remember to lower your fire_interval to get that Plasma Burst Goodness.

Custom Bullets.
classname = “SIM_BulletWeaponModule”

bullet_texture = "moddedbullets.dds"

What it does:
The Community have been bugging Cliff for a long time for this and he has been kind enough to let us have it.
With the bullet texture over ride you can change that bullet into ANYTHING you want.

::Examples of what you can do::
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698&start=1110#p51234
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698&start=1095#p51203
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5698&start=1095#p51189

Hints and tips.
Once you have added in bullet_texture remember to change
height =
width =
to help get the image the way you want it.

Another point to remember, the larger the image the more you will slow down GSB
(especially if you have an extremely low refire rate of)

Area of Effect.
classname = “SIM_BulletWeaponModule”

payload = FLAK
aoe_radius = 50
aoe_scalar = 0.5

What it does:
This section of code will create damage over an area at the intended target when the bullet either:

• Hits the target
  • Misses the target and Expires.

Payload = FLAK - This activates the Area of Effect mechanic for the bullet. Please note that Tracking of the weapon is no longer a determining factor on what the turret can and cant hit. Once your using FLAK as a payload, the bullet will always damage the target and any surrounding ships (friend or foe)

aoe_radius = number - This determines the radius of the area of effect. Anything within this distance of the epicentre will receive damage if their shields / armour are not strong enough.

aoe_scalar = number - This determines the percentage of the damage any ship will receive that is caught in the area of effect and did not have strong enough shields / armor to protect it. For example
aoe_scalar = 0.5 - any ships in AoE will receive half of the weapons damage
aoe_scalar = 1.0 - any ships in AoE will receive the full weapons damage
aoe_scalar = 2.0 - any ships in AoE will receive twice the weapons damage

Hints and tips.

• If you are using the AoE payload for a modded weapon, it is a good idea that you are fully aware on how it works.
  • There is a discussion on this new feature you can read here.

I also would like to know this, help?

I’m glad you used my work as an example for such a usefull guide =D

Ok, lets look at a few examples in hulks section of the code.
[hulks]
0 = 193,150,248,201,(emit-223-178-hulk_emmiter_bluesparks),(emit-222-210-hulk_smoke_emmiter),(emit-205-160-hulk_emmiter)

Based on my current understanding of the coord system for the hulks it goes something like this.
[hulks]
0 = 1st(x),1st(y),2nd(x),2nd(y),(emit-GFX(x)-GFX(y)-GFX),(emit-GFX(x)-GFX(y)-GFX),(emit-GFX(x)-GFX(y)-GFX),
1 = 1st(x),1st(y),2nd(x),2nd(y),(emit-GFX(x)-GFX(y)-GFX),(emit-GFX(x)-GFX(y)-GFX),(emit-GFX(x)-GFX(y)-GFX),
2 = 1st(x),1st(y),2nd(x),2nd(y),(emit-GFX(x)-GFX(y)-GFX),(emit-GFX(x)-GFX(y)-GFX),(emit-GFX(x)-GFX(y)-GFX),
etc etc

Breakdown.
1st(x) - The X coordinate of the Top Left of the box
1st(y) - The Y coordinate of the Top Left of the box
2nd(x) - The X coordinate of the Bottom Right of the box
2nd(y) - The Y coordinate of the Bottom Right of the box
GFX(x) - The X coordinate of the emmiter (has to be within the bounds of the box)
GFX(y) - The Y coordinate of the emmiter (has to be within the bounds of the box)
GFX - The name of the Graphics emmiter

In this part of the code, the grid still 512x512. (unlike slot positioning)

Okay, and what about the escape pods and the debris that is released with each hit, are they removable?

Escape Pods are generated as part of the explosions.
Now i am unsure if ALL explosions generate escape pods, so it could be possible.

The debris that is released from a damaged ship is controled by the race setup in the race file - for example
debrisstartuv = 32
debrisenduv = 64
Any number above 255 will cause a crash.

Looking at debris.dds there is no “Blank” Debris you can select . .

Overall i would say that unless you edit vanilla files it is imposible to remove debris and escape pods

Okay, then i cannot remove the escape pods only of the TDS Division, np. I’ve asked about the debris cuz The Plague will look better with a less quantity AND cuz Acepalarum asked it and no one answered, hopefully he will find this useful :B

I answered the question awhile back in a PM :stuck_out_tongue:

Ow… lol

Darkstar’s awesome that way. By the time you hear his sonic boom, he’s already over the horizon and your control board lights up with an “ENEMY MISSILES INCOMING!” warning about two seconds before they hit. It’s all just another “boring day on the job” for him. :smiley: Not only does the man have the answers, but he even remembers when he told YOU the answers!

Hey guys, noticed that no one talked about “frames = 4” value in the Plasma Slinger Module, what determines it?
And “animationgap”?

There have been several recent requests from new modders who have heard of the official Hull Editor function that is hidden within the game, and would like to enable that function. I posted an answer in this thread; it’s quoted below.

If errors are brought to my attention, I will update the original post as well as the quoted copy here. Thanks.