Help- Want some clear Directions on how to Mod

So, i accidentally deleted all the files in my game, and I was almost doe with all the missions too, and had unlocked a bunch of stuff. So since it will now be boring having to redo everything, I thought why not make it interesting and put some different ships in? Well, the only problem is that I don’t know how. I’ve looked around on the forums, and I kinda get how to make the ships, but not really. And from the one explanation I did find, it didn’t tell you what folder to put the finished model in. So if someone could sum up the entire process including…

-Making the image and what program has the appropriate file format
-What file format to save the image as
-How to edit all that complicated looking ship information in those big files of text so you can have a ship without floating guns.(I hope you know what I’m talking about. You know, the ones that give a ship its stats).
-What folder you should save the information in
-And what information is needed.

I realize I might be making this sound more complicated than it is, but if someone could just give a full set of directions to a guy like me who doesn’t have the attention span to browse forums, that’d be great!

Quick Overview:
Questions:
1:Making the image and what program has the appropriate file format
2:What file format to save the image as
3:How to edit all that complicated looking ship information in those big files of text so you can have a ship without floating guns.(I hope you know what I’m talking about. You know, the ones that give a ship its stats).
4:What folder you should save the information in
5:And what information is needed.

Anwsers:
1: Find Paint dot Net or Photoshop (I Recomend Paintdotnet as its Easy to use and is quick, Do up all the sprites for one ship in a Miniute)
Paint.net = http://www.getpaint.net/
2: dds format, with settings: DXT3, Iterative Fit, Perceptual, Weight color by Alpha, Generate Mip Maps
All of those are the Paint.net Settings Going from Up -> Down when you save the file
3: Heaps of this can be quickly done with the Hull Editor (add ‘-editor’ at the End of the target in a shortcut)
The First Part Can be Done Easily:
classname = fighter - What the Hull is classed as
name = AR-68 - the Name Used by the Game For Saved Ships Etc… (Code Name)
guiname = AR-68 Hull - the Name you see in game
sprite = AR68.dds - the Name of the Sprite, In the case of Fighters its the image it shows in the ShipBuilder
damagetexture = AR68_damaged.dds - The damaged Version of the Ship, Gets overlayed onto the Sprite
hulktexture = AR68_hulk.dds - The Texture of the Destroyed Ship (You also need a _sprite.dds Texture in the files for Fighters)
width = 3.5 - how big is the Ship (Multiplys the .dds, this example is 3.5 meters tall and wide)
height = 3.5 - keep the same as width or stretching will occur
powerproduced = 38 - the ammount of Power it Produces
cost = 65 - the Cost of the Hull
racename = luftwaffe - the race that use’s the Hull

For Fighters you also need a NAME_sprite.dds File that has a resized 64x64 Image of a undamaged then a hulk image that is used in ingame battles (total size is 64 High x 128 long)

[bonuses] - this part contains Modifiers to the Modules of the Ship
0 = INTEGRITYBOOST,0.2 - adds a 0.2 boost to the Health (Total = 1.2 Normal)
1 = SPEEDBOOST,0.25 - adds 0.25 extra boost to the speed (total = 1.25 Normal)
(Total List: INTEGRITYBOOST - ARMORBOOST - SPEEDBOOST - POWERBOOST - COSTBOOST, i may of missed one)

For slots, targets and Explosions There are some good Topics Around the Fourms, for fighters just copy over one from one of the Originals
Modules can be done quick and painless in the Hulleditor, but then location refined in the Hull File

4: Look in the Default game Folders for examples (Everything has a subfolder in Data)

5: and information, What type of info are you looking for