How do accuracy numbers work for weapons?

I see that the accuracy numbers for weapons range from 0.55 up to 1.80, and that’s not mapping to any sensible scheme in my brain. Is a weapon with 1.10 accuracy twice as accurate as one with 0.55? Meaning it will hit the same target twice as many times in the same number of shots?

Given some reasonable scenario (Target is stationary, within range, etc.) how often will a weapon with 1.00 accuracy hit?

Also, do things like target size and movement speed affect accuracy, or is it simply a fixed difficulty to hit a target?

what happens is that the accuracy (or ‘tracking speed’ as I refer to it internally) gets compared to the movem ent speed of the target, to determine the chance of making a hit. This is the same method Gratuitous Space Battles used.

There is always a minimum 2% chance of a hit.
The base hit chance is 100%, and for every point that a unit is moving faster than the tracking speed, that is reduced.

so say target speed is 1.25
accuracy is 0.8

chance to hit is thus 1.0 - (1.25 - 0.8) which is 0.55 or 55%

There is also an adjustmebnt made based on target size, where smaller objects are harder to hit.
And finally this is all adjusted by any accuracy modifiers the firing unit has, such as better targeting scopes or the accuracy augs.

Awesome fast reply, thank you so much. :slight_smile:

Humm… That’s weird since you know even heavy tanks has 4+ speed in this game and mecha exceeds 10. By this logic nothing should be getting hit by those superheavy cannon and light pulse lasers with just 0.5 and 0.7 tracking (but they do on the field, very consistently in fact).

Oh, I’m assuming that the relevant speed is angular velocity, in radians per second or something like that. Not straight-out linear speed.

The speed shown on the design screen is multiplied by 100, to make it more readable. I might change the display of the tracking speed/accuracy to do the same, so it’s easier to compare them…