So I was modding my game and I decided it would look cool to have a black coloured laser. So, I set the “Colour” thing on the text file of a laser to 0,0,0 (Thinking this would change the lasers colour to RGB 0,0,0 aka Black). But it didn’t. I’m a little bit worried I’ll have to create my own laser image to use, but I was wondering if there was an easier way?
Sometime in the early alpha of the development of GSB, the Color = R,B,G for Beam weapons was disabled, so thats why it did not work (I dont know why that line of code is in there)
Anyways, modifying a beam weapons (“SIM_BeamWeaponModule”) is a simple task. All you need to do is:
- Create/modify a beam Graphics File
- Call the graphics file in the module using the blasttexture = “something.dds”
To alter/create the beam graphics file you need a program that can alter a .dds file. (for example, Gimp which is free)
A quick guide on how a beam effect graphics file works
- The blast effect is placed at the start of the turret
- The main beam effect is stretched from the turret to the target
- The grain section is repeatedly placed along the effects (without stretching) back to back
For more info about modding, have a look at the [Guide] GSB Modding 101
There are some useful hints, tips and guides to help you get your ideas into the game.