[Hulls] Stations of the Great Powers

I believe there is a readme included in the download (check the first post for link) that gives instructions for install/uninstall. I don’t have access to my modding data at the moment so I can’t say for 100% certain (if there isn’t a readme right now, there will be in the next release). If the readme isn’t included, feel free to PM me and I will give you details of what to do with the download.

There’s a readme on the link you posted on the first threadloved the federation outpost!(couldn’t test the others though, just resetted my game and i’m battling for honor) i couldn’t see the Kodiak Federation station in the list, only the outpost.
also it’s hard to place a module on the Standard Module Slot in the middle, now i’m pwning over alliance :smiley:

That would be because in the initial release, the Federation Outpost did not have a name as such. I tacked on the Kodiak name here in my most recent flurry of activity. :slight_smile: It’s the same hull though, no other changes.

Getting that many slots crammed into the design screen is a bit of a challenge. As long as I don’t wind up with anything worse than the vanilla Alliance Python hull (on which I am constantly dropping turrets into unintended positions) I don’t worry about it too much. But I sympathize.

Glad to know you’re enjoying it! An update will hopefully be forthcoming in the next few days, depending on how quickly I get a few things properly coded.

There is no alliance or empire station in the link

Correct. The initial release only contained one Federation station and two Rebel stations. I am working on finishing up the second Empire station now and should be able to upload everything tomorrow is all goes well. Alliance still has no station, as I find them a trifle hard to work with. But Alliance stations are planned.

how may i help?

The offer is much appreciated, but at the moment there’s really nothing to be done that doesn’t have to be done with my own brain and fingers.

In related news, the updated release (v0.2) is now available. Check the first post for details and download links.

PM me, and 'ill start the warp engines to your location to help you

After a long hiatus, here’s another sample station that I threw together. Parasites this time; I was looking at the Parasite ships and this idea just popped into my head.

I don’t think this one will need too much more work (if any) before I’m satisfied with it. At the moment I have no idea whether this is frigate-sized or cruiser-sized; I suspect I’ll build the second Parasite station and then decide which is which.

Comments are, as always, welcome.

Cool station, Ace! Such sparse, clean symmetry here looks really sweet.

28 hardpoints is [size=115]a lot[/size] of firepower…I’d say that makes this more akin to a juggernaut with temporary engine difficulties than a humble logistics & supply point. :smiley: Or are your intentions for these structures to include mainly serving more as immobile defenses for strategic points which require them to fend off persistent enemy attacks? if the latter, that would help explain the surprising number of turret slots those hardpoint graphics indicate.

The circular middle section has much brighter highlights than the arm sections do. While this makes an interesting visual effect for its translucent blue areas (the “icy”-looking highlights there are eye-catching, if a bit stark), to me it seems to be overkill for some of the remainder of that section. The usual pale brushed-aluminum appearance of Parasite engineering now contrasts with a few areas of rather washed-out near-white on that middle section, which I found a bit distracting.

Those modest observations aside, I enjoy all else about this design and want to thank you for continuing with these space stations. Carry on, good sir!

Thanks! The structure and shape of this station practically built itself.

Keep in mind that some of those mountings may (probably?) will wind up as multi-turrets, so it’s likely that the station won’t have nearly as many actual weapons as it appears. So it’s not quite the powerhouse of destructive capability it appears at first blush. It certainly does have the capability of packing quite a wallop, though. The number of possible weapons will definitely be a point of consideration when determining this station’s size though. (At the moment, I’m guessing this will turn out to be the cruiser/dreadnought-sized station).

No arguments here - the problem is that adjusting the “brightness” of Parasite hull sections is incredibly tough without messing up the clean white hull plates we all know and love. Unfortunately, not all of the Parasites’ stock hulls have quite the same level of lighting in their transparent sections. I will probably look into darkening the color on the ring section a bit, though with my somewhat limited skills I’ll accept the current form as a reasonable baseline. :slight_smile:

Saw the Parasite station and I gotta say I REALLY like the color scheme to be honest.

To be fair, your right about the multi-turrets…HOWEVER 28 hard points in and of itself may NOT be as overpowered as you believe…or at the very least it can be balanced out by 2 severe factors: Size and Speed.

Consider my own attempt at a Station: The Hurricane Assault Platform

it’s huge: one of the biggest hulls in the union fleet (if not THE biggest)…and it has a -100% speed boost. So even if you put an engine on the thing it will have 0 speed. This makes it a big stationary target that literally ANYTHING can hit.

So having turrets on every angle and position is its ONLY means of defense therefore it would and should have a fair amount of them

You make good points. I had to go back to my notes to realize that I have already made a giant, heavily-armed sitting duck: the Swarm Pharaoh Colony (from this very mod).

This monstrosity has 24 hardpoints and a whopping size of 440. The size is a liability not just because it simplifies enemy targeting, but because the guns on the back often can’t reach past the front, or at least have almost no overlapping fire (for reference, the difference in the MWM max and min ranges is only 660; min range is just 500) so with anything other than the longest-range weapons, at any point you are likely out of range of at least 25% of the station’s armament.

TRUST me: size and speed are two CRUCIAL factors I failed to pay proper heed to with the Union mod at first…and I’m still paying for it trying to balance out the Windreaper Assault Frigate

the fact is you need to make a crucial decision with EACH station

Will it be a TRULY static defense platform (-100% speed) OR will it have some kind of maneuvering thrusters (-50% speed to -90% speed) lower penalties would be for frigate-class stations and higher penalties for Cruisers

if it’s a truly stationary platform you MAY want to consider asymmetric turret locations, after all, if it’s guarding something like a planet it doesn’t have to worry TOO much about the side facing that planet, but the other three will much more heavily protected

Such station’s are floating fortresses, well armed and armored…and are likely to have higher hull integrity

By contrast, if it’s going to be able to move (albeit slowly) it will not only need to be armed more or less evenly, it is likely to be far smaller and lighter.

Okay, another first pass at something: the first Alliance station. I’m thinking this is probably cruiser-class:

As I started playing with Alliance stations, I thought that the Alliance wanted a design aesthetic all their own. I think their stations, alone among all the Great Powers, will have a distinct “front” rather than the 3-way or 4-way symmetry that seems to dominate most of my designs. (The Order and Nomads will likely be almost completely devoid of symmetry.) I see this one as essentially a giant bug too heavy to move under its own power.

That alliance stations looks absolutely amazing. I think that the 2-way summitry fits their style very well.

And a new Parasite station as well (this one is definitely frigate-class):

I kind of like how the green turned out on this one. Plus its a pretty simple design that’s not choked with potential hardpoints.

And now, the second Alliance station:

I think I’m going to stick with my first instinct and say the first Alliance station is cruiser-class, this one is a smaller frigate-sized one. I think of the large round pods as some form of nursery pods, probably growing the components that will become fighter hulls and internal modules for larger ships.

I will say that I’m glad I’m fundamentally done fooling around with Alliance hulls. Recoloring these bugs is nowhere near as straightforward as it is for the less-organic races.

Comments, as always, are welcome.

Solid attractive work with Parasite and Alliance here, Ace. I know the latter was extra-tough, but your skill sure did the trick. Jolly good show. :slight_smile:

You idea of recoloring the translucent parts on the Parasite station to a hue/color which is not used by any of the official Parasite ships was a really smart move. The Cubozoa does also use green, but of a very dark shade. This very light green is so much at variance to that that it’s basically a whole different color. Sweet.

Re: Alliance,

I agree fully. BTW that physical feature & the explanation for it makes the station even more believable.

After a great deal of time working on other mod projects (and that dumb ol’ thing we call life) I am making progress on the stations. As a quick teaser, I show you the Alliance Cluster, live in the game:

With 10 hardpoints and three measly standard slots, this station can be made into an armored pod with a few lashing-out tools, or (as seen here) a glass cannon packed to the brim with torpedoes and missiles.

Next up will be the Alliance Hive, after which the 4 core Great Powers will be equally-equipped with stationary platforms of gratuitous destruction.