Humongous List of Suggestions

Maybe Fake News would lead to a very high increase in General Strike risk, then? Or other related events like Armed Religious Communities? Thinking aloud here (at work).

Edit: this Harvard study looks reasonable (emphasis added). https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/campante/files/campantechor_jcec_final.pdf

“We provide evidence that economic circumstances are a key intermediating variable for understanding the relationship between schooling and political protest. Using the World Values Survey, we find that individuals with higher levels of schooling, but whose income outcomes fall short of that predicted by their biographical characteristics, in turn display a greater propensity to engage in protest
activities. We discuss a number of interpretations that are consistent with this finding, including
the idea that economic conditions can affect how individuals trade off the use of their human capital
between production and political activities. Our results could also reflect a link between education,
“grievance”, and political protest, although we argue that this is unlikely to be the sole explanation.
Separately, we show that the interaction between schooling and economic conditions matters too at
the country level: Rising education levels coupled with macroeconomic weakness are associated with
increased incumbent turnover, as well as subsequent pressures toward democratization.”

This one & this one might also be helpful but I don’t have my library card yet so I can’t read it all. https://www.jstor.org/stable/4120962?seq=1 https://www.jstor.org/stable/2095588?origin=crossref&seq=1

tl;dr it looks like people who are very underemployed, IE very well-educated but not well-off, are prone to protesting, as well as people who are protesting due to class-based or race-based issues.

The Harvard folks do note that education isn’t the sole factor by any measure though, only a factor, and the other studies suggest similar but slightly-different things if I’m understanding them correctly.

Interesting to read, though. I learned something new today! :smiley:

2 Likes

Reading over your list again, I would contradict the point about married tax allowance and parents’ income. There are plenty of couples with no kids out there, and many kids raised by single or unmarried parents. It would tend to raise religious and conservative incomes, as there is considerable focus on marriage in those cultures.

1 Like

According to Dinesh, Nuclear weapons can now be legitimately described as the major factor of international relations . During 1945-90 the nuclear weapons influenced the politics of cold war.

From: Impact of Nuclear Weapons on International Relations

Thank you for the appreciation Cliff! We appreciate what you do!

Too lazy to update the list proper ATM. The above is a graph from economists attempting to calculate how social security programs & marriage tax allowances affect labor participation.

2 Likes

“Clean energy subsidies improve the energy industry, so subsidizing nuclear fission should have the same effect.” ~Rabid

1 Like

Some more suggestions:

• Family planning decreasing population
  • A link between parent membership and population
  • A link between abortion and parent membership
  • A delay in the evolution of private pensions

I cannot seem to edit the original post (RIP), so I am continuing it down here!

• Economy
    • State Postal Service & State Airline do not impact trade unionist happiness or membership, unlike all other state industries. (credit to @jh5g for idea)
  • New Situations
  • Law & Order
    • Law judges (credit to @Fabian for idea)
  • Other
    • Parents are annoyed by allowing single parents to adopt children in the Single-Parent dilemma (credit to @Rabid for idea)
    • Parent membership does not rise if single parents can adopt children (credit to @Darkmark8910 for idea)
2 Likes

My economy seemed to be doing well at first but then, as I invested money in different programs to cope with problems, my deficit starting growing and growing and growing, even though I was only investing in small amounts. So I checked my GDP in case it stopped growing and found this.

After multiple turns it still wouldn’t grow anymore. Is there a hard cap on GDP? If so it should be removed as an economy doesn’t really have a limit per capita, some are very poor (third world countries) and some very rich such as city states like Monaco.

Instead a slider bar in the starting menu on how efficient the different economics programs and how high the GDP growth rate can be.

Thanks a lot, great game btw.

1 Like

Wdym the original post is straight up?

The economy maxing out is a problem that others have talked about as well, but if you were running large deficits while your GDP was maxed out then you were probably doing something wrong.

At this point, you should probably be taxing harder to generate revenue to cover your expenses, or, if you were trying to run a low tax country for play style reasons, then you need to accept that you have to slash substantial amounts of spending to balance the budget. It won’t be enough to trim the little ad campaigns, you’re going to have to make tough choices on big ticket expenses like pensions, the military, health care, or education.

*edited to fix a typo.

2 Likes

This stuff was reported as bug by many players :wink:
I think too, that it was design mistake. It was like this since Democracy 1.

EVERYTHING is capped between 0 and 1 - every simulation, situation, policy, their influences, event/dilemma requirements and effects.
Its using neural network.

Game eventually completely stabilizes over time - that is nothing changes anymore unless time simulation triggers situations.
Also higher amount of policies also stabilize game, as more stuff is pushed to 0 or 1.

Accumulators were suggested: On accumulators
Essentially have some things grow unbound.
Some things would be split between population, its growth, GDP, its growth, and GDP/capita.

2 Likes

I think once a post is older than 30 days you can’t edit it anymore.

Ah I see thank you for informing me

Could this be copy-pasted into a new post? I would never advocate for typing the whole thing out again, but if it could be done that way you would be able to edit again.

I second the motion

As the author of that post, I should say that I intended for accumulator values to still stay in the 0-1 framework. It was really intended to model values that rise faster than they fall or vice versa. Or things that go up and then don’t really go down (like minority population and development).

1 Like

Thanks for including my suggestion, but it’s “lay judges”, not “law judges”.

(My guess is that many people won’t know what a lay judge is and if you google “law judge” it shows results for administrative law for me, so that’s why I think it’s important even though it’s only a difference of one letter.)

Link to the suggestion: Small suggestion: lay judges

1 Like

Thoughts on corruption!

1. Ministers can gain/lose corruption over time
  2. Having no executive term limits could increase corruption
  3. Having a powerful security/justice apparatus makes it more likely you’ll catch corrupt ministers early on, before they can do anything uber-corrupt, but it also means you’ll catch them more often, which may tank your trustworthiness ratings.
  4. Then tie in corruption to effectiveness & loyalty. Corrupt ministers are more loyal but less effective.

Bumping. If possible, can we get another big list of all the current suggestions?
P.S. Enjoy you Day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Selective schooling does not cost any money at “subsidize” intensity.