impact explosion type/size based on the weapon's damage

I had previously suggested that I would like a way to tell the game which explosion effect to play when a weapon hits a target…maybe an additional line in the weapon’s module file. I’ve thought of an easier way to do things without requiring extra lines in the module files and without lots of extra coding:

Choose an explosion type and size based on only the value of the module’s “damage = ###” line. For example:

1. A fighter laser scores a hit on an unarmored cruiser (damage = 4): play a tiny smoke puff
  2. A fighter rocket scores a hit on an unarmored cruiser (damage = 9): play a small explosion
  3. A cruiser missile scores a hit on an unarmored cruiser (damage = 30): play a medium explosion
  4. A cruiser megaton missile scores a hit on an unarmored cruiser (damage = 60): play a large explosion and shockwave

Or maybe just have the explosion size scale with the damage value and start playing shockwaves once you reach a certain level of damage.

Seems like a great idea on the visual side. On the coding side? Only Cliffski knows. :slight_smile: