Interest on Reserves

I noticed that debt has an interest applied which causes a reduction in amount you can spend per turn, but reserves don’t… surely interest should work both ways right?

1 Like

I’d love this if you could turn your interest in reverse

I think this doesn’t really make sense as it would be the government paying interest to itself which is both and expense and a cost so unless monetary policies to print/create money to the game are added this is not necessary.
However adding monetary policy to the game would be cool (interest rate, setting target inflation, having the reserve ban buy government debt, etc.)

Also eventually you could get your reserves up high enough that your interest could pay for all your expenditure, however this could be resolved by adding crises if your reserves gets to high

I think what might happen is the difference between a simple savings fund and the government directly buying stocks and what not with surplus, which could eventually end up generating extra surplus from interest.

1 Like

Her Majesty’s Treasury keeps its money at the Bank of England, the US Treasury keeps an account at the Federal Reserve - both of which follow the interest base rates. So yes in theory you could pay for more stuff but that’s how it would work should we be in surplus. The only reason this doesn’t happen in real life is due to been constant debt.

The governments wouldn’t be paying themselves either as bank of England, bank of America etc are central banks and not controlled by the governments.

There are a few countries in the world with actual reserves. Mostly that’s those countries lucky enough to get oil wealth. Norway is among them, for instance.

Yeah the wealth fund in Norway is a prime example, they use it to buy into infrastructure and other financial markets, I think they’re supposed to benefit from owning 1% of the global equities/bonds/funds etc and they’ll get dividends which creates additional income.

However it’s cut, a surplus should be able to be utilised other than for running a deficit which isn’t sustainable.