It's time to SAC up

It’s 4579332 by Ka Anor using the Empire.

• Chris

This SAC thing looks like alot of fun, I’m going to have to try to get in on this.

…eh… the most annoying thing is getting your deployment the same. There is no easy way to do this, eh?

Actually, one of the nice things about it is that it’s on the same map so you can load/save deployments.

If you save it as ‘deployed’ it even comes up as the default, provided you’re the proper race going in.

I’m an idiot, I see that now. I used to save deployments for the single player maps, don’t know why I wasn’t connecting.

But then there’s people like you yurch, who post a SAC challenge on a different map, so deployments are non-interchangeable. I’m talking about your SAC 3 retaliation, the rebel one with all the Lokis. That is one hell of a fleet, by the way.

It is up to like - over 30 now, but is it established what the ‘winningest’ SAC fleets are? I’m slowing going through from the begining, but I’d like to download the greatest hits too.

That’s a response to mrblitz’s new chain, which admittedly is more than a little confusing. A map filter would be really nice at this point, the only way I can navigate them is with the ‘downloaded’ button checked.

It’s pretty interesting to look at the evolution of challenges as they go through the sequence. They start out with fairly generic attack cruisers, slowly bending towards the Tribe end, until an outright fighter war kicks off at 10. At that point it gets pretty unstable.

Any of the SAC fleets are obviously counterable, but the adjacent SAC fleets are what make specialized approaches quite difficult.

I thought I’d give it a shot, but I just recently bought this game and probably don’t understand it well enough yet to build good fleets. Beating 28, 29, and 30 seems nigh impossible with the same fleet.

This challenge appears to have been deleted.

Good day people. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I’ve just posted SAC 31! :smiley:
It’s a tribe plasma fleet with a side of laser and rocket fighter. I’ve defeated all previous SAC challenges except 26 (which i couldn’t find), 24,19,10,9 and 6.
Most of the fleets i had trouble with where fast short-range ones, like some tribe howitcer spammers early on.

SAC-32 posted
It defeats all the numbered SAC challenges except 18 and 20 (untested against 26 which appears to be gone). Some of the other challenges have defeated it also at times. It’s not perfectly consistent.

It’s a simple fighter heavy Tribe fleet with a decoy cruiser to give the fighters time to do their thing.

SAC 33 is up, it’s like SAC 31 with more lasers. It does not defeat SAC 19,14,10,9 or 6, otherwise all wins. This makes three fleets in a row with mostly tribe utopia cruisers. Order next maybe? :slight_smile:

Sorry voxCogitatio, I’m sure your message box is filled with attempt messages.

I’m doing awful science to your rocket fighters.

34 is up. A fairly sophisticated* frigate Swarm fleet that had the unfortunate upbringing of mainly SAC Tribe opponents.

As the races find deeper niches, I can’t help but wonder if you’ll have to start specifically tailoring fleets to races.

[size=85]* The original involved .45 speed cruisers, cloaking devices, and ridiculous unarmed specialty craft. I wish I could make it work.[/size]

Heh, no problem. It’s in the name of science after all. :slight_smile:
I’m also curious how you managed to beat 31 and 33’s rocket fighters with mostly frigates? Muyo interesting.

I try to utilize size differences to draw fire however possible away from the Horus frigates, which make up the bulk of the shooty and have little budgeted defense. This works well enough that I want to find a way to do this with cruisers, but I’m a little in love with speed at the moment. The more defensive frigates range from triple shielded to armor tank, most going between 0.42-0.45. The Swarm speed bonus is incredible for frigates.

The fleet is rocket “resistant”, much like how watches are water “resistant”. Both will die with enough saturation. :stuck_out_tongue:

A difficulty is that fighting near your cruisers means outgoing AA weaponry constantly gets scrambled, so I often had to resort to tractors… which are thankfully cheaper for frigates.

Since my three required challenges were all tribe, I had to spend a considerable amount more on air defense and most of the damage comes from focused low-shield-penetration weaponry. I have to trade frigates out to have a chance against the more standard heavy-shield or fighterless challenges.

This is leading to a bit of a weapon crisis that needs to be solved before the fleet gets any better. Looks like it’s getting trashed.

I think SAC-32,33,34 is the hardest 3 challenge sequence so far. Three very efficient well designed fleets with very different strategies. I posted SAC 35. It’s not a particularly hard challenge but it just barely beats each of SAC-32,33 and 34 more often than it loses.

My own solution to 32-33-34 was fairly similar. The plasma/beam team really puts a timer on it.

Although yours has got to be the first fleet I’ve ever seen set to specifically retreat from frigates. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, that’s a strategy I may employ more often. I’m basically killing fast moving frigates with midrange weapons, especially fusion beams. By retreating I hold the range open longer which gives my midrange weapons more time to work before the frigates close and also gives more time before the mostly shorter range frigate weapons can do significant damage. Of course that leaves my fleet vulnerable to a frigate fleet with long range weapons and orders not to close but that is rather unusual too and the fighters mitigate that possibility to some degree.

If I did it again though I would take more pains to have my fleet stay together rather than scattering all over the place.

I find losses mount quite rapidly due to the cruiser lasers, in fact, despite the 34ish % chance of being hit. The little idiots will find ways to kill themselves (at screaming .44 speeds) in the most creative ways possible.

Deleting the keep moving order from most of the ranged frigates is likely sufficient in the case of SAC-35, but that’s not a sustainable approach.

Admittedly I don’t have the original designs anymore, so I can’t check.

SAC-36 posted
This is a swarm frigate/fighter fleet with one cruiser as a carrier.
Sometimes efficient design can defeat tactical cleverness.

I’ve got a modified version of 34 that I think beats everything but 18 now. I’m not willing to run it through that many challenges again just to be sure, though.

I’ll post it later as a standard fleet if it still stays relevant. For now, I think we’ve had enough swarm frigate swarming. I’m going to try to get some underdog races in there.