Well, it’s been a few days since Cliff published the first screenshots from Kudos 2. I expected to see all kinds of reactions, questions and speculation here on the forums but since that has not happened (or since I have relatively convincing evidence to support the belief that it has not happened) I thought I’d better do something about it. If any of you haven’t noticed the screenshots they can be found at the new Kudos 2 site at positech.co.uk/kudos2/
Reactions and other kinds of input from other fans would be very appreciated - let’s start discussing this promising game.
There isn’t much to say about the text, really, except that it looks like Cliff is sticking with what he knows works as far as the basic concept goes - which is a good thing. But the screenshots suggest that there have been some important changes.
First I have to say that I really, really like the new style. Jamie McKelvie (jamiemckelvie.com/) is clearly a very talented artist. Also, the simplistic style and bright colours are a good alternative to the old Positech style which tended to be kind of dark and trying to be realistic without really succeeding.
Then there’s the reactions to the individual screenshots:
- Uhhh… character creation. Looks great - and if there are just 3 options per category per gender, then that’s 1458 different combinations (unless I’ve failed at calculating) - and that’s not even counting the different colours. Unfortunately, it looks like Cliff has removed the possibility of editing your personality before starting the game. Of course, editing your personality is what the game is all about, but it does seem strange that all people have the same characteristics at age 20.
- Well, that looks so familiar and yet so new and interesting. The style is just great - and everything on the GUI makes sense. Also I like that Happyness, Excitement etc. are supposed to be maximized (Sobrierety instead of Alcohol, Energy instead of Tiredness), it really makes it easier to see where something needs to be done - however, Loneliness is still supposed to be minimized which does look strange when it’s the only one.
- Hmm… Happiness is gone and instead there is something called ‘Extravert’… why? I like the diary, though - and the new transport option (Taxi).
- Cool! Detailed options! Maybe a bit too many and maybe they need to be balanced a bit - but it looks like a very promising idea!
- Statistics! Great! That was one of the things I really missed in the original Kudos - maybe there even is a “High Score” section now?
- Shopping! Looks great - what else is there to say?
Well, that’s all for now. I really think this looks great and I’m going to buy the game as soon as it’s possible.