Latest developer video blog:44 Tougher Crime

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Will be checking out this video shortly. Just finished compiling a comprehensive changelog of v1.34 for the benefit of modders.

One thing I noticed is that under the new equations there are some values that when set to the minimum position of the policy slider actually result in an increase of the value the policy is supposed to reduce.

Just going to copy paste the examples I meant when I was analysing the changes to the equations, these are a couple but I know there are many others:

Is the equation you have used for Armed Police correct? The previous equation works at -2% at minimum to -12% at maximum, and the current equation works at +0.1% at minimum to -9.9% at maximum. This basically means that there is a tiny increase to the Crime Rate if you have the minimum amount of Armed Police cameras but the Crime Rate is unimpacted if you don’t have ANY Armed Police ?
Is the equation you have used for CCTV Cameras correct? The previous equation works at -3% at minimum to -13% at maximum, and the current equation works at +0.24% at minimum to -7.76% at maximum. This basically means that there is a tiny increase to the Violent Crime Rate if you have the minimum number of CCTV cameras but Violent Crime is unimpacted if you don’t have ANY CCTV cameras? Lol.

Not the end of the world. Trying to get the equations to map exactly right is very tricky but in an ideal world if the expected result of CCTV, Armed Police or whatever is that there will be a reduction, it doesn’t make sense that you are better off with no CCTV/Armed Police (no policy) vs. the very minimum of CCTV/Armed Police.

Hope that makes sense. I wrote this in a hurry because trying to make the most of my weekend :slight_smile:
Will let you know once I’ve got around to playtesting v1.34 since the updates look very promising.

If police policies are off, crime will increase, these values just reflect what impact they have when the policies are active.

@Chantern15 Please read through what I have said again properly.
You can even take the equations and check them for yourself since I gave two examples.
The minimum positions for some of the policies now INCREASE crime (although not very much) which means that there is less crime without the policy being implemented. Thanks.

Edit:

Hopefully this makes it clearer to you: CCTV Cameras increase violent crime at their lowest levels, meaning that having no CCTV cameras is better than having some when it comes to dealing with violent crime. I believe this to be a consequence of the new equations and was trying to be helpful to Cliff by highlighting this - it’s up to him whether he considers it to be an actual problem or not, I was very pleased with his changes overall to balance the game better.

Sorry about that. I wonder if this is actually a counterintuitive thing which is true. If you have barely any cctv cameras, right? The criminals can just memorize where they are, and crime will fall there, but go up everywhere else. So, it wouldn’t be too farfetched to suggest that net crime would go up.

@cliffski Watched the video. Great stuff <3

@Chantern15 what I am describing applies to many policies under the new equations and is unlikely to be intentional. Since I spent a few hours analysing the changes.
For example tasers at the minimum value increase crime by a whopping 0.06%

A simple tweak to the equations is all that is required for example this would fix the current equation for Tasers:

And you can see the lines converge to give the intended result:

1 Like

Then if it isn’t intentional, I’m sure Cliff will see your post and make the requisite changes.

1 Like

Just seen this post today… thanks!
It sounds like some of the equations are definitely wrong, and I will go through them and fix them tomorrow, ready for hopefully tomorrows new build of the game (which mostly has some modding improvements regarding countries)

2 Likes

No worries Cliff!
Since it isn’t actually impacting the gameplay in a meaningful way (the incorrectly positive values are tiny) that is the only reason I didn’t chase you on it in my usual way - I appreciate the attention to detail.

I’ll update my repo at some point in the coming days as well once the new version drops :slight_smile:

1 Like