Linux DLC

Yes Those two lines are very handy indeed. Seems to fix this one problem.

Just tested my script with Outcasts: worked like a charm! =)

Hi,
in my opinion it is strange. I bought GSB as part of the humblebundle because it was indicated as Linux compatible.
Now I’d like to buy some DLC (preferably all of them) and I am very interested in the galactic conquest DLC.

But I must read everywhere that these sddons are not supported for linux. While reading this forum I found that somebody
found a solution with the help of a Windows PC. Ok great, but I am not willing to buy a PC including Windows just to
convert some files.
Other users posted scripts which should convert the different races, but I do not know what these scripts do. I am not
willing to type some harmful code into my terminal. Sorry to these users, I do not think that you are going to post some
evil code, but I am better careful than sorry.
If a DLC conversion is a matter of three lines of code I wonder why Positech does not this conversion and sells the DLCs
usable for Linux also. For them it is not more than 5 mins of work, is it? Or at least would supply an official confirmed script?

I think the idea that the users should buy DLCs and then let them find out if they work or not is a strange business behaviour.
In that case GSB should never be advertised as Linux-compatible! A half-way strategy!

Are DLCs in real do not work or very seldom just at some Linux-Gurus? And Positech is nevertheless hoping to sell lots of them?
I really do not understand this.

This all to just save 5mins of work to convert their files, or to check and approve a user-supplied script if it does what it should?
5 mins! -or let it be 10 mins?
They do not take this time?

So will there be an official Linux support in future, or at least an official approved script for Galactic Conquest and the Race DLCs?

Actually, last time I checked, Positech just didn’t have the knowledge to insure Linux compatibility or even verify user scripts.
They don’t know linux.

The Linux port included in the HiB was made by HiB team or contractor (icculus?). The DLC are not advertised as linux compatible anywhere on the official website (nor is the game itself).
So basically, you should ask HiB to check scripts/linux compatibility.

This isn’t the first time this happens with HiB bundle: try to get on official answer from devs for Jamestown’s DLC for example (you can’t even buy it without Steam).

Now, if you want to be sure what a sript does, you can just actually “read” it: it’s not a compiled program, it’s a script, just and number of command lines grouped in a file to make the task simpler for users.

What I can tell you is the following (re my personal script): it uses a binary to uncompress the DLC (.exe programs can’t be “understood” by Linux), copy the files in the correct folders and convert graphic files to another format.
Really, if you want to understand it, just install the required binaries (Image Magick and InnoExtract) and read their manual pages.

The script is hamrless, as long as you keep a safe copy of your installation folder.

Plus, as mentioned earlier, it is compatible with all the released DLC (as long as your DLC is correctly named).

Last thing, I follow this topic, and I’m practically stuck to my mail reader, so I can answer any question in a few hours.

1 Like

But obviously is their programming knowledge very well to produce clean code without just calling M$-routines.
So their game is doing well under Linux.

And the fact that it is running under Linux is for sure not a small sum in their pockets!
So a little effort/support is not asked too much, is it?

Thank you for your help.
I got the conversion done. the races are here, but the campaign button is not showing anywhere.
I double checked and tried to copy the campaign data files one more time, but there is no campaign mode.
I use Version 1.56. Any help would be great.
Thank you.

PS:(edit) I just found out that also the menu graphic should have changed. It is still the old one…

Where did you copy the data files?

They must be inside a “campaign” directory in the main GSB folder. This is the main difference from the races DLC.

Hmmmm… Did you install Galactic Conquest using the script or manually (the script does install it in the correct directory…).

Last thing, re the money earned for the Linux version: it was a one shot thing. You could buy a Linux version from HiB, once, and now it’s over.
Positech don’t ensure compatibiliy for future version either…

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much!
This was it, i moved it into the data folder like all other DLCs.
btw. I did everything manually.

Okay you are right. But…
But this one shot was not bad either. (based on HiB Diagrams I guess they made 20-30k$)
Not bad. What do you think? Money from users which would never ever have bought that game otherwise? So you see they made really a bunch of money with Linux users.
They got really good money for their work. Additionally some sold DLCs. And perhaps new customers for future DLCs.
It is okay! They should get paid well, so they can bring us other great games in future.

It is just a business decision. It is their business and they decide as they think its right for them.
I thought a little effort for this bunch of customers would not be the worst idea.
Obviously I am wrong, their business is running well, no need for 30.000 Linux customers.
If they want it that way, it is okay also.

Well, I have no shares in Positech, but I think there is a difference between what “they” want and what they can provide.

Positech, as many indie studio, is a one man company, and he doesn’t have the knowledge to support Linux users.

That’s fine by me: users on this forum can help each others, and Positech can continue to develop DLCs.

I have given Positech the option to “officialize” my script, but he hasn’t the knowledge to verify it (imagine supporting binaries…), so we have to rely on each other.

Sorry, I didn’t check before. I had a small company of 6-7 people in mind. My fault!

Okay, if Positech is only one man than it is understandable that he cannot do everything!
In that case I have agree to you.
I’d also agree to you that it is better he develops the game/DLCs instead of using time
in other things which have nothing to do with the core functionality.

Hi cycyx - thanks for posting a bash script for converting the DLC .

You’re welcome!