Some feedback on the map editor
- the allowable time limit feels a tad short. I accept that everyone posting 20 minute online challenges would be bad, but a little variety would be nice
- auto-colouring the paths (based on arrows) was an inspired addition
- more props would be greatly appreciated. (ruined) buildings would be the ideal addition so we can build and fight in cities, stuff like fountains, bridges, crashed aircraft, burned out vehicles, army tents, a sentry post/barrier, POW camp style huts/barracks, brick or concrete walls, etc. Actually, brick and concrete walls and a roof tile type pattern might make user-created buildings possible, rather than you having to design multiple building types.
- linked to that, a third path type corresponding to concrete roads would be nice
- can we get some water? Either terrain type or prop - as a prop should be easiest and sufficient
- love the and options for props. Really makes decorating a new map far easier
- can we can some pillboxes for infantry defenders?
- can we have attacker start zones with restricted unit types? (this would need code changes, but is already in for defenders - infantry and turrets can’t share the same square)
- I couldn’t find a way in-game of resizing the map area. I’ve posted one online map (Chunnel Defence) where I naughtily doubled the height of the map using a text editor, but that’s apparently confused the minimap a bit.
- saving a map offers attacker and defender difficulty adjusters. These are scary because I don’t know what they do or how to factor them into the map balancing.
- saving a map you get to define an excellent name and description. Unfortunately nobody else ever sees those, as they aren’t retained on online challenges
Hmm. If you want a test for think of what you’d need to make an Operation Market Garden map, where heavy armour has a long road and a couple of bridges to fight across before it can support infantry units that start rather nearer a seriously well defended big bridge in an urban setting. Sorry, I like themes for my maps
Balancing maps is very very difficult. Rather than suggest in-game mechanisms to help with that, is there any chance of an addition to the manual or a map balancing video or a forum post that shares your learnings from balancing the campaign maps?
On the whole, I’m enjoying designing/testing maps. It’s a good feature!