[MOD] A Fed. dreadnought hull for GSB!

Do you think if I was able to click the part that’s not covered I would be posting here?

It was a suggestion! Besides, that’s what happened to me. And my suggestion worked. :smiley:

kurisu, I see that cliffski has - unbeknownst to me until now - apparrently changed both the font size and line spacing on that panel. The text did not formerly extend so far down vertically. I doubt that cliffski had in mind the future existence of a hull with four simultaneous bonuses in force when he made those UI tweaks. Previously the bonus text for my Buffalo King had the final line extending at most 33-50% down over the top of the “OK” button. I have repeatedly tried to select a fresh, empty dreadnought hull for construction and I had the same result as you did. Damn damn damn! :frowning:

Well, it used to work. [grumble]. As a short-term hack, I will remove one bonus from my dreadnought mod. Long-term, I hope I can prevail upon our glorious leader to re-tweak the text on that panel. Thanks for letting me know about the problem.

Okay, my friends, I just changed the Buffalo King’s boost bonuses. Among other nerfs, the speedboost bonus is now removed. Please remove your existing copy of this hull’s code in your game and replace it with the code now shown in this thread’s original post. Let me know if the change now avoids invisibly obscuring the “OK” button. After replacing the code as shown, you should now be able to enjoy my creation.

Interestingly, I noted that previous instances of saved ships built on the Buffalo King hull are accessible to me via the ship modification screen. Only the selection of the hull for new construction is blocked. Of course that’s hardly desirable, but I thought I’d mention it anyhow.

I am sorry that such a graceless hack is necessary. Hopefully it will be only a short-term nuisance. I shall contact cliffski and ask him to consider other formatting of that panel’s text. I would be overjoyed if future keyboard mapping of “Enter” becomes tied to instances of “OK” buttons…such UI flexibility would have never impacted the use of my dreadnought. [baffled sigh]

Or you could just PM Cliffski and ask him if he could add a line of code which adds a scrolling arrows to the bonuses if they extend out of the window. That’s what I would do with this kind of situation.

Archduke Astro, i think it would seem to be more of a dreadnought if it was bigger. if i could make only one suggestion, this would be it: change the height and width from 250 to 290. wouldn’t that be better? than it would actually LOOK like a dreadnought. right now, it only has the dreadnought ability to wipe out everything in its path. :smiley:

The problem with just increasing the size, Hybrinoid, is that once you get to a certain width (about 290) it crashes as soon as it loads a battle, and if you’re even close to that size I’ve noticed it can seriously destabilize the game causing it to crash randomly in the middle of a battle. The only way I’ve truly found to make a dreadnought sized ship is to actually make the bitmap image extra wide, and then increase the height a lot in the hull text file (height doesn’t make the game crash). This wasn’t my idea I actually got it from someone who posted somewhere else on the forums here (thanks by the way to whoever it was!), but it works pretty well. So far the only issue I’ve found with my Excalibur class Battleship is that when it gets hit by an EMP weapon. The electric shock outline is super wide like the bitmap, and looks a little odd.

that’s what i’m saying, increase the size to 290 ONLY. if it’s any higher than that, the game will crash. that’s why i said that.

Like I said if you’re even close to that it seems to seriously destabilize the game, and causes random crashes during battles. Boosting the width just that little bit also doesn’t really make that big of a visible difference.

still, it’s better than nothing. and, i’ve changed the width and height to 290 a lot, and no crashes.

My intention is to stay away from useless ornamentation that serves as a lightning-rod for game crashes and misc. chaos. You can easily change the ship icon size yourself to a value that pleases you, but for those who are ignorant of such risks (i.e., the majority of players), I’ll keep the “standard” version of the Buffalo King as it is.

BTW…more dreadnoughts are coming out of my shipyards very soon. Two are already undergoing combat & maneuver trials, with others still a-building in spacedock.

And once all of them are ready?

[size=115]“In space, no one can hear you scream.”[/size]