[MOD] Anti-Fighter Cannon

Hey guys. I thought I’d try my hand at making a new weapon for GSB. This one is inspired by the giant flak cannons seen in BSG (Seen here at about 3:10http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk3Pl8cVBW0)
The idea was to a weapon that would really chew up fighters within a set range (atm between 200-350) But leave them relatively unscathed while they’re in close where they tear you up. So the goal is to kill as many as possible before they get that close. The file is as follows:

[code][config]
unlockcost = 0
lockable = 0
blasttexture = “turret_blast_yellow.dds”
armour_penetration = 8
category = “WEAPONS”
classname = “SIM_BulletWeaponModule”
color = 5
cost = 80
crew_required = 7
damage = 6
description = “When you find yourself thinking I wanna chew up some fighters you begin looking for a weapon that can keep up with the speedy little bastards. Look no futher! The Space Grinder 3000 is here to mince enemy fighters into a fine paste.”
fire_interval = 100
guiname = “Anti-Fighter Cannon”
height = 8
hitpoints = 10
icon = turret
min_range = 200
max_range = 450
name = “frigate_ion_cannon”
optimum_range = 350
powerconsumed = 3
shield_penetration = 6
size = “FRIGATE”
slot_type = TURRET
sound = data/sounds/laser_gun_short_blast.ogg
soundvolume = 0.5
speed = 9
tracking_speed = 4.0
turret_sprite = “turret_bull_v2”
turretsize = 9.0
weight = 50
width = 2.2

[dataitems]
0 = cost,DECIMAL
1 = weight,DECIMAL
2 = hitpoints,DECIMAL
3 = powerconsumed,DECIMAL
4 = max_range,DECIMAL
5 = damage,DECIMAL
6 = fire_interval,INTEGER
7 = tracking_speed,DECIMAL
8 = shield_penetration,DECIMAL
9 = armour_penetration,DECIMAL
10 = crew_required,INTEGER
11 = optimum_range,DECIMAL
12 = min_range,DECIMAL[/code]

Currently this is just a v1. I plan to play with it a bit more to get it just the way I want it. I’m thinking about reducing the firing interval to 50 as well as working with the ranges but we’ll see how that goes.

Let me know what you think

When I try and save a ship with these on them, the game crashes.

That’s very odd. If you clicked select all to copy the code don’t. It creates spaces before each line. I haven’t had any problems from this weapon so far. Has anyone else had a problem?

Just figured out why it doesn’t work. Your anti-fighter cannon has the same name variable as the ion cannon still. Do that, and the game craps the bed. Simple fix.

[code][config]
unlockcost = 0
lockable = 0
blasttexture = “turret_blast_yellow.dds”
armour_penetration = 8
category = “WEAPONS”
classname = “SIM_BulletWeaponModule”
color = 5
cost = 80
crew_required = 7
damage = 6
description = "When you find yourself thinking I wanna chew up some fighters you begin looking for a weapon that can keep

up with the speedy little bastards. Look no futher! The Space Grinder 3000 is here to mince enemy fighters into a fine

paste."
fire_interval = 100
guiname = “Anti-Fighter Cannon”
height = 8
hitpoints = 10
icon = turret
min_range = 200
max_range = 450
name = “MOD_Anti_Fighter_Cannon”
optimum_range = 350
powerconsumed = 3
shield_penetration = 6
size = “FRIGATE”
slot_type = TURRET
sound = data/sounds/laser_gun_short_blast.ogg
soundvolume = 0.5
speed = 9
tracking_speed = 4.0
turret_sprite = “turret_bull_v2”
turretsize = 9.0
weight = 50
width = 2.2

[dataitems]
0 = cost,DECIMAL
1 = weight,DECIMAL
2 = hitpoints,DECIMAL
3 = powerconsumed,DECIMAL
4 = max_range,DECIMAL
5 = damage,DECIMAL
6 = fire_interval,INTEGER
7 = tracking_speed,DECIMAL
8 = shield_penetration,DECIMAL
9 = armour_penetration,DECIMAL
10 = crew_required,INTEGER
11 = optimum_range,DECIMAL
12 = min_range,DECIMAL[/code]
Tis an easy mistake to make.

Works very well.

Combine it with my Fighter Antifighter Missile Module http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3028 and surviving Fighter swarms is quite possible.

This totally rips up fighters. Seems like it should have zero shield penetration, and maybe even less armor penetration. If the fighter has enough armor to shrug it off it would be pretty slow.

This weapon does have higher DPS than any other weapon in the game, so it could be easily abused I think.

It was fun melting 6 squads of fighter with about 20 frigates loaded with this though :).

The idea was to severely limit the shield/armor penetration so that it would only be effective on frigs and cruisers after they had the crap kicked out of them. I tested this on the gravity well with nine frigs only equipped with these for weapons. they tore threw the imperial fighters but got thrashed by the larger ships.