[MOD] **Classic Dreadnoughts** now in service!

*picks up jaw from the floor and walks over to a mirror to put it back in place and then comes back."

HOLY COW This and Union has been released while i was off messing around. I have to get this and try it out. Wow and the story and background goodness That took a like to get it right. And is making me rethink a few things. I AM Glad that you got this done.

Iā€™ve mirrored the download file here:

http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/media/Classic%20Dreadnoughts%20v1.00.zip

Because these ā€˜anonymous download sitesā€™ can be unreliable as hell
Cheers

1 Like

Thank you, Cliff! :slight_smile:

All your pics are down! Plz reupp I want to see the awesomeness! :wink:

Believe me, Eich, I want you and everyone to see the awesomeness! :smiley: The way in which my various free image-hosting websites were failing under the strain is highly embarrassing. However, the fact that itā€™s happening due to overwhelming interest in my Classic Dreadnoughts ā€“ interest coming from these varied sources:

• other players who frequent this forum

• by everyone who read Cliffskiā€™s wonderful blog post about my mod

• the even wider population who received his tweet about the subject

ā€“ fills me with surprise and joy. :slight_smile: From a certain point of view, Iā€™m very happy to have this problem. My mod thread was ā€œSlashdottedā€! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

UPDATE: Are any other players in Europe still having trouble viewing the images I posted on page 1 of the thread? With both ponyus (in Sweden) and Eich (in Germany) reporting problems ā€“ and Eichā€™s viewing problem is happening even after Iā€™ve refreshed the thread and can view ALL images of mine again ā€“ this makes me wonder if thereā€™s a different source for the trouble.

The image host thatā€™s serving those pics has a daily bandwidth limit for every single image, and once 24 hours had passed since I posted the final image in the thread, I refreshed the thread in my browser tab and all of them are viewable to me again. I suspect some sort of caching fault or traffic-shaping, but Iā€™m no network engineer.

Iā€™m from Argentina and i canā€™t see them, sadly Px

Damn! Iā€™m sorry, Praetors. Youā€™re the third non-USA member of this forum to have trouble here. :frowning: And yet Darkstar (in Australia) and Aradia (in the UK) could view the pics. Itā€™s a mystery!

Iā€™m going to investigate a few alternatives. Will report back later if I have any success with it.

seems like your interwebz doesnt like non english speaking countries :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ll be certain to send a strongly-worded letter to ICANN to register my anger and disappointment with their interwebtron thingy. Perhaps Iā€™ll have it hand-delivered by a formation of Fed. Lion dreadnoughts? :smiley: Nooooo, that might get me in troubleā€¦ :confused: Instead, Iā€™ll pursue other options for image hosting.

I can see them fine (UK).

perhaps its something as simple as us in the non english countries are not using the english version of the web browsers. the hosting site might have prablem with this.

just a thought :wink:

But how well will they do against a zombie horde? AWESOME awesome awesome and I love how the sprites fit in perfectly with the vanilla ships!!!

1 Like

Creating ships that still looked unique yet blended into the game was rather easy, esspecially with the description of what Archduke was looking for - Glad you like them :slight_smile:

This point deserves greater emphasis. Darkstar has my [size=150]thanks and gratitude in abundance[/size] for so skillfully translating my specifications into a workable set of sprites that are a visual gift for the eyes. He has my deepest appreciation for helping me update these fierce and fascinating ships to modern GSB standards. I am very happy that other players of my mod are giving him recognition of this.

Indeed, a major point of Classic Dreadnoughts was making these titanic warships mesh as closely as possible with the visual styling of each race. The fundamental idea was to make them look as if theyā€™d all been a part of the game since it first went public in 2009. In the first post of this thread, I wasnā€™t kidding about creating the gameā€™s first dreadnought hull just three weeks after the pre-order working beta release was introduced. Thatā€™s how long these ideas have been on my mind: to add a larger hull class to the game without needing Cliffski to make deep and intricate changes in GSBā€™s core codebase. Hopefully his next game will allow for MANY new multiple hull and weapon classes to exist without first needing to reshape the world. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s no secretā€¦Darkstar is a sprite designing genius. Without him the Resolute hull for Union would lookā€¦wellā€¦less than stellar.

My hat goes off to darkstar as wellā€¦his design skills are second to NOBODY!

Iā€™m blown away by how popular my new mod is.

In only three days, this thread has received (as of this second) 1010 page views. The mod itself has been downloaded 86 times as of right now, which is truly red-hot for a game thatā€™s finished all official development and is being pushed forward solely by the creativity and talent of the modders. While thereā€™s no guarantee that after today it wonā€™t sink like a stone (I sure hope it wonā€™t!), these numbers tell a happy story indeed.

Of course its popularity was greatly assisted by Cliffski being so highly impressed with this mod that he blogged it and tweeted it. That huge influx of visitors is what caused my humble & underpowered image-hosting to crumble under the strain. :stuck_out_tongue: Itā€™s amusing to me that I had those problems because the mod was simply too good [-chuckle-]. :smiley: Iā€™m truly grateful to Cliffski for being willing to spread the news about something that he felt very strongly in favor of. Judging by the stats quoted above, heā€™s definitely not the only one who liked what he saw.

A very big ā€œthank youā€ to everyone whoā€™s come here to check out my dreadnoughtsā€™ origins and backstory, as well as downloading them in order to make things go BOOM! :smiley:

1 Like

and it couldnt have come in a better time!

the union and dreadmod (thats what i call it) was exactly what this forum needed (what i needed) to get back on its feet.

i owe many cookies to darkstar myself. the delta leviathan wouldnt be what it is if it wasnt for him. niether would the redeemer and its feared cannon.

ive even planned a suprise for you guys to come later this yearā€¦

but for now, back to the glue station!

I have just updated the first post in this thread to include a download link for an Apple-friendly version of the Classic Dreadnoughts mod.

Starting now, GSB players who use the Mac OS X version of the game can join in the fun as they use my threatening superships to interdict trade routes, scatter enemy cruisers and frigates, and park whereveer they please at the local shopping mall. Having more than a million tons of starship gives you certain privileges. :wink: Enjoy them, fellow Mac users!

Also updated is BowlNwhsprerā€™s superb community-service thread which includes a current list of ALL Mac-friendly mod content for GSB.

Good archduke I must once again compliment you for a mod well done! Your dreadnaugts (and their respective modules) are a sight to behold on the map.

You hoped I wasnā€™t done with writing Unionā€™s epic struggle against Uni-Tā€¦and Iā€™m happy to tell you Iā€™m not! Not by a LONG SHOT!