[Mod] Gratuitous Naval Battles

Quit freaking out. LOL, by the way, when you want to talk to me Hybrinoid, get on AIM. I am on 100% of the time now.

ok then. PREPARE TO TALK THEN MUAHAHAHAHA

uh… sorry to ask again but… when the hell is Orkel going to do something? when is this going to be released? AND WHERE THE HELL DID HE GET THOSE SPRITES?!

I belive he said something about using top down photos of those ships, which why some are more detailed then others.

To Orkel: Looks wonderful! A really good idea, and looks like it’s built well. Look forward to seeing more boats and ships, and maybe heavy bombers? (Even though they weren’t used much XD), and I hope you get better soon!

Hope you get better, and could you possibly design a P-38 lightning?

Some Spec’s

1× Hispano M2© 20 mm cannon with 150 rounds (2 AP, 2 tracer and 2 HE ammo belt composition) and 4× Browning MG53-2 0.50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns with 500 rpg. The rate of fire was about 650 rounds per minute for the 20×110 mm cannon round (130 g shell), and for the .50 in MGs (43–48 g), about 850 rpm.

4× M10 three-tube 4.5 in (112 mm) rocket launchers or:

Inner Hardpoints: 2× 2,000 lb (907 kg) bombs or drop tanks; or 2× 1,000 lb (454 kg) bombs or drop tanks, plus either 4× 500 lb (227 kg) or 4× 250 lb (113 kg) bombs; or 6× 500 lb (227 kg) or 6× 250 lb (113 kg) bombs

Outer Hardpoints: 10× 5 in (127 mm) HVARs (High Velocity Aircraft Rocket); or 2× 500 lb (227 kg) or 2× 250 lb (113 kg) bombs

Length: 37 ft 10 in (11.53 m)

Wingspan: 52 ft 0 in (15.85 m)

Height: 12 ft 10 in (3.91 m)

Wing area: 327.5 ft² (30.43 m²)

But you can customize or decide on other armaments. (might want to skip out on the rocket launchers or 20MM cannon)

(Thanks Wikipedia!)
Love the idea!

Wow, do people really think a cut’n’paste from wiki is what someone needs to add a plane to the game? Turns out art assets might be a little bit harder to come by. The P-38 is hardly an important naval aircraft in any case.

I’m curious if he has any modification planned; I’m not sure if the game allows you to define mounts as limited in some way to prevent people attaching giant naval rifles all over a light cruiser. It’d let people make their own Dido subclass, though. :slight_smile:

OMG! DO NAVAL OPS (PS2) DESIGNS! Supership Dual Crater is launching destroyers!

This is his 2nd or 3rd playthough of the game so he’s maxed out his cruiser
youtube.com/watch?v=muj7umiUapA

GLEE This is what I’ve been waiting for! GLEE

So is this going to be…

Any ship possible
Time Period Ships

Will there be nations? Like the Americans and their various cannon types/crew types then you have the Japanese and their specialized cannons/machine guns/planes.

I’d be happy to help with forming a list of the nations and their ships/weapons if you’re going with a specific time period, WW2 to me seems like the best option (most naval battles, tons of nations involved, loads of fun)

(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wo … ip_classes)

Says you!

http://aviationshoppe.com/

http://www.mo-na-ko.net/images5/LockheedP-38_18.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/166/d/3/Lockheed_P_38_Lightning_scat_3_by_bagera3005.png

3D sites are a great place to find models, sometimes their sample renders are at the right angles. This one isn’t textured but the model is free. http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/p38-3d-model/401569

First of all - really really inspired by this. Great early work.

I do have some points for feedback, the naval enthusiast in me couldnt resist.

1- The PoW has quad 14" guns in turrets A and Z, and a dual 14" B turret.

2- The Yamato shouldnt be that slow. She was as fast as PoW and had a tight turning circle, better than other contemporary BB designs.

3- Interesting that the Fletcher has no AA guns. By mid-end war DD’s had a plethora of AA guns - however thats probably a limitation of the game engine and providing game balance. Perhaps make a weaker more rapid firing AA guns to reflect the light-AA this class had. This light AA mount could also be used for other ships.

4- The Adm Scheers armour was no more than many other contemporary CA’s. I feel that you’ved slightly underpowered the Scheer. One only needs to look at the Battle of the River Plate to see the damage done by her 6 11" guns and her 5.9" secondaries. That battle also highlights her CA armour scheme as she was damaged by the opposing UK and 8 inch guns.

5- Interesting choice, the Glorious. Prior to WW2 she was turned into a CV. Her guns should do the same damage indivually as the Hoods (though Hood as 2x the amount). She should have greater range, but really be a poor ship as she is inequipped to take on the later built CA/CLs. Should also be fast.

Besides that, great work. I like your range of ships - really shows your enthusiasm and passion for the genre.

Tee

so is orkel dead or somethin? i doubt anyone would be sick this long without dying O_O

Too bad this mod is dead, it looked very fun to play with… :frowning:

Mods like this can’t continue until there is a way to ‘fix’ the background so it doesn’t scroll.
All mine are on hold until then. Once that is done, I’ll release Space1999 and UFO Moonbase.

as I’ve expressed elsewhere in similar circumstances, i couldn’t care about the background. its the ships blowing each other to living hell that i pay attention to.

exactly! but again, what i’m worried about is that Orkel hasn’t posted for months that I know of. Did he move to Mars or something? just asking…

I agree hybrinoid, it is troubling to just stop like that. I do hope everything is ok.

but this mod looks awesome and it would be all most sinful to not have it completed!

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind if the water was a little… moving when I move the camera, I have no clue why he didn’t release it.

I’m coding this right now.

edit:

youtube.com/watch?v=6uzyuQW8gFs

awesome,that looks just like if they were fighting few kilometers above planet surface :stuck_out_tongue:

i`d really like to play GNB,seems such a great idea for a mod… i dont suppose anyone has a personal contact on him? like an e-mail?

I will look forward to the gratuitous tank battle mod.